Off topic - NHK and tv licences

I didnt mean to defend NHK really....and certainly not vehemently (like I give a toss)....to be honest, when I first came to Japan and was single, I did all the "sorry I dont speak Japanese", "yo no hablo ingles", ignoring the doorbell etc stuff. Since then I married Mr Anal when it comes to abiding laws and stuff (apart from that he's lovely really) and I suppose some of it has rubbed off a bit or maybe I've just chilled out. Also I like playing devils advocate.

But I did think it harsh of Ocean to call them.....what was it - creepy rude people - or something similar....they're just normal people doing their job and really we are the creepy rude people trying to dodge the bills. It's only 2700 yen or something anyway. If everyone paid, maybe the service would improve (yeh, I know that's too idealistic, but the BBC is pretty good - maybe that's the difference). And Mogsi, I think the guy who came to collect the money last time was very attractive, hee hee (or was that the pizza delivery guy?).

Lucky you!! In the NZ it's the milkman, in Japan it's the NHK man! YEAH!!! Go for it baby GO!!!

Sorry to hear about Mr. A's stance on rule matters.

BTW, you say only 2,700 yen, but over a period of 12 months that's 32,400 yen! For those of us who have been here over 5 years that's 162,000 yen!!! You could buy a pretty damn good TV for that price!

Honestly does any watch the equivalent of 2,700 yen of NHK!? (If so please consult your doctor, it may have adversely affected you!) Actually what the hell is 2,700 yen worth of NHK!?

Another thought, now I haven't researched this, but you could probably buy alot of shares in NHK for your yearly subscription. (Not that you would want to or anything, just trying to give a penny counting example.)

As things stand, the cost of collecting from stubborn people may make it more economical for NHK not to bother with further measures. I bet the detector vans and court cases you get in the UK don't come cheap. If a critical mass of non-payers were reached, maybe the method of enforcement would change. This could well involve inconvience and invasions of privacy that go far beyond some obasan knocking on your door.

In which case, the public may find that the costs outweigh the benefits and rebel against the new measures too!

Besides, 'national' broadcasting is a matter of national prestige, and it will persist even if it's unprofitable.