Top Posters In This Topic

I like:

Osaka

Kobe

Sendai

Tateyama (at the bottom of Chiba-ken)

Kyoto

Ushimado (in Okayama, on the coast)

not much of a fan of Tokyo - It's fun to visit and a good place to go for a boogie, but it has too many people, too much stress, and is too dirty to live there - IMO. walksmil.gif

------------------

Cheers,

C.Frog

yeah, it's another of those sentimental things.

It's not big and not too exciting in terms of clubs, but I did a homestay there years ago that made me love Japan and want to come back.

It was the people.

------------------

Cheers,

C.Frog

• 2 weeks later...

C.Frog,

Ive been to Ushimado in Okayama and stayed at the villa there over looking the ocean. What a sweet place that was. Really "Doinaka" but nice to get away...

Best place in Japan - well as far as cities go, once you seen one, youve seen them all. I would have to say its the country side of Japan that sticks out in my mind as the most beautiful places. That, and LOVE HOTELS!!! Oh yeah, in case you need a rest as they say, kyuukei wo torouka?

Ocean11,

"Hiroshima-fu okonomi yaki is verrrr nice, especially at an open-air stall in the summer."

Where did you eat okonomiyaki at a Yatai in Hiroshima? There are none unless you happened to be at a festival in the city at that time, and then I doubt if there were seats for you to sit down. But, I do agree that Hiroshima Fu is by far the BEST! Kansai Fu just cant hang, hands down.

"Also, the resorts in Hiroshima got the first snow last season, although after the first few dumps, it didn't seem to get that much."

Once again, if youre talking about Jinkou Yuki, sure, maybe the slopes were making it early like they usually do. However, real natural snow days are few and far between... makes me long Hokkaido or Tohoku - —Ç‚¢‚ÈI‰´‚à‚»‚±‚ÅZ‚ñ‚Å‚Ý‚½‚¢‚¶‚á‚ñB•²á‚ªˆê”t‚ ‚邶‚Ⴏ‚ñB

I don't know the name of the area in Hiroshima, but there's a yatai-mura in a newish little square that features a big okonomi stand. It was a few years back, and these things come and go.

Also, unless I'm much mistaken, some of the snow in Hiroshima was natural, if the Snow Forecast site was to be believed.

Ushimado is tagged the "Aegean of Japan". It has a bay with some yachts and some olive trees have been planted at the top of the hill.

The International Villa there is nice, but it's a fair hike up the hill for folk without car, so I'd recommend jumping in a taxi if they don't give you a lift. The main room there is glass-fronted facing south over the Japan Sea. Great view, and I imagine it would be nice in spring or autumn, but on a fine summer's day it's like a greenhouse. Most of the windows don't open and there's AC in the rooms only.

Top marks to Okayama for building it, but it's a shame about the design.

The one at Hattoji is in an old farmhouse. It's a struggle getting there by public transport (maybe eight buses a day), and but it's got a loads of character. Well worth a visit, even if the vaunted goemonburo is no longer heated from below. If you're in Kansai, it's just over the border with Hyogo, so you can get there in a couple of hours.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...