I know what you're saying.

There are a proportionately large % of divvies amongst the foreign community in Japan in that way.

Think they're the legends, but ask em what they're doing and that'll bring em down.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Topic seems to have developed into a gaijin discussion, which is interesting in itself.

There seem to be 2 main extremes in my experience - the gaijin who lives in an almost completely gaijin-environment (expat guys and gals), and the gaijin who hardly ever meets another gaijin, living in a rice field in Akita (or somewhere just as beautiful).

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the former has few Japanese contacts and so is the more friendly customer. The latter is the one immersed in Japan, so feels strange when he/she sees another gaijin in "his" territory.

Anyone else find that?

actually grungy-gonads...

I think the gaijin in the rice-field might be really happy to see another foriegner...

at least i would...

in a crowd of japanese, i've experienced 4 kinds of gaijin... the territorial ones that have been talked about, chill laid back cool gaijin that I wouldn't mind havin a beer with any where in the world, gaijin that are having a good time that they don't even notice the other gaijin, and then, the last,

the one that annoys me, are the gaijin that feel they HAVE to talk to all the other gaijin...seems like a security blanket to me...its really easy to spot em cause they just lach on to anything non-japanese...you guys know what I'm talkin' about???

danz

danz, does that last category include the people that really hate Japan, do nothing but moan about everything Japanese, and really shouldn't be here? God I hate getting stuck with someone like that. Nearly as bad as the Lafcadio Hearn types (those that would rather bow and give you a meishi than shake your hand).

(danz, your spelling is going all to pot man, is the pressure of waiting for your speeding-related deportation getting to you?)

Someone asked about Kyushu - Miyazaki is a really nice town down there. It's also the only place I've been in Kyushu, but it gave me a rather favourable impression of the island. Picture a Victoria, Canada with palm trees. It's quiet, mellow, has lots of flowers and greenery and even some good surfing within a half-hour's drive. Very pleasant.

I wouldn't mind living there if there was any work to be had and one didn't have to catch a plane every time one wanted to ski.

When my life frustrates me, I dream of quitting Tokyo for a stress-free English teaching post in Naha or Sapporo.

That's really funny, liking a place because your Japanese in-laws are from there. I really like Uwajima, for the same reason, but I would never, ever, say so on a public forum.

You gotta watch those paddies though, they have a way of disappearing. Large areas of Suwa's paddies are going, and I saw the same thing in Kofu.