Controversial views on Japan here......

NEED 24-HR CASH MACHINES!!!!

i spent 1.5hrs this morning waiting for

the atm to open so i could get my car

out of a parking lot...

kirin has a sneaky way of making you forget stuff...

danz

Japanese are pathetically proud that their country has four seasons, as if no other place in the world has four seasons, and make it the foundation for great castles in the air about what diligent people they are.

But wait! The master race can't count! They have five seasons! Summer, autumn, winter, spring, and the rainy season. (That's called the monsoon when it falls on the darker heads of Asians.)

dane, don't get me started now...

Yo danz

I had the countryside remix of your experience.

It's where you have to walk for thirty minutes on icy paths at 10:30 at night to find somewhere open that'll let you break a 10,000 for change to get your car out of the car park. Great fun when it's minus 8. I must have passed three banks, so yeah, a 24hr cash machine would have sorted me out.

As for controversy, given the spectacular failure in Japan of Merrill Lynch (closing 20 of 28 branches in just two years), do American (or other Western) "experts" have any right to make sweeping judgements about the Japanese economy and write articles like "Japan's voodoo companies" and "Japan is the new Argentina" in Newsweek ? Wouldn't their probing and corruption-busting be better spent on Enron ? Why go out for a teriyaki burger when you can have a nice, fat, juicy steak at home ?

I agree with Ocean on the seasons thing. Also, in relation to the seasons, why do the Japanese think that it's strange for Westerners not to drive 3 hours just to see the brown leaves on trees.

Another gripe I have is why, when I ask my Japanese friends where a good place to visit is, do they tell me somewhere 3 hours away 'just because it has nice raamen'. I don't take day trips just to eat some food somewhere different. confused.gif

This link has potential, I could be here all day!!

Why the hell is the speed limit so ridiculously low on normal roads. I got a months suspension + huge fine recently for doing 89kmh in a 50 zone. In Britain the same road would have a limit of 96kmh. This country really pisses me off sometimes.

Matt...

are you kidding?? I love driving here...

i've been here for a yr now...and if

i'm driving under 90km, i feel like i'm

going slow...at least out here in tsukuba

cops are nowhere to be found...

and those cardboard cut-outs of cop-cars

and officers are also VERY effective (ha ha)

i did get pulled over once...and for 20

minutes i was pulling the "no comprendo

japanese" bit, and the officer gave up

out of frustration...

driving here is better than a PS2...word

danz

------------------

pray for snow