Poll: How Many of You Post from Work, not Home?

I suppose if we broke it down by country/timezone the statistics would be less convincing, but on the assumption that most of you lot are here in Japan, it's obvious that this list is busiest during weekday working hours.

You lazy slugs!

Now, are we to conclude that the majority of posters is UNEMPLOYED, or gainfully employed but SLACKING OFF?

Which one are YOU?

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of activity between 9-6 on weekdays, with the weekend pretty much a dead-zone. I spend hours goofing off, which is prolly one reason I'm being fired. Got 3 weeks of holiday left before my contract expires, so you can guess where I'll be (no, not Hallo Waak).

I keep getting on to the boys at SJG about disguising their site as something work related - I wish they'd replace those snowboarders with shots of men in suits shaking hands, career women leaning over computer terminals, spectacles placed on legal pads, y'know the sort of thing.

The smilies menu is a dead giveaway too. Can't you make them grey and hide them in little OA equipment icons?

It says in my job description that I am free to undertake research that would benefit my understanding of the task present. There doesn't seem to be anything pointing to this research being work related, so here I am on a work day doing my research on company time, company modem and getting paid for it.

[This message has been edited by mogski (edited 28 January 2002).]

oo, did you find that your perception of the fun and functionality of the Net drastically changed once you got ADSL?

As for me, I'm downloading tons of MP3s, watching movie trailers, skate vids and streaming stuff all the time...fantastic.

Does anyone have Usen's 300Mbps fiber optic service? I wonder what that looks like.

BIG change.

I have the 1.5 service (no 8 service here yet), but a huge change.

Soooo fast (compared to the modem I had) and probably most of all, I can use the web without worrying about the phone bill anymore (a big pressure when using before).

I've been doing the peer-to-peer file swapping thing using iMesh (you can download it easily for free).

I really enjoy the mp3s, but I have to say that:

1. iMesh ends up crashing my system every time (this applies to search/download activitity only--after I GET the mp3 onto my system, I have no need to fire up iMesh, and can listen all day using an mp3 player, without crashing)

2. iMesh cobbles into your system a number of programs classified as "spyware" that continually pass information to advertisers and to iMesh. I read it even has the programs that can replace words on a website, which is the worst kind of censorship (example: it detects the word "vitamin" on a webpage...and so it throws in some ads from health supplement makers, that aren't actually a part of the site that you're looking at...but you never know that, all you see is the ad).

I spent some time on the Gibson Research site and other sites and found ways to deactivate some of this annoying stuff, but it somehow screwed up part of iMesh's functionality for me and I suspect that is one reason my computer crashes a lot when running iMesh.

Isn't there an easier way to steal things? So dirty, so messy!

Have you tried Morpheus at http://www.musiccity.com/ ? I just installed it, and lo!, it crashed. Coolio. It's for p2p of everything on your HD - you can probably share the crud that adheres to the rollers of your mouse too.

There should be an easier way to steal other people's intellectual property. Can the wages of sin really be death if it involves so much work?

I'm totally hooked on Macy Gray's 'I Try' - everybody, go and download it now - it's a great song.

Bit behind the timez there Ocean. It was a big big hit two years ago.

The biggest music sharing utility is audiogalaxy. If you want to choose your supplier (see their bandwidth/test their ping etc.) try WinMx. More obscure stuff on audiogalaxy though. You can get non-mp3 files off Winmx if you're interested.

I may have this wrong, but don't Japanese ADSL services place a limit on how much (MB/GB) you can download per week/month ? I know there's no time limit, btw. I'm interested in how much total you can get.

• 3 weeks later...

From home most of the time now.

Like someone else mentioned, got ADSL now so am able to spend time posting from now on and not worry about phone bills.

Can't use from work unfortunately.

Have you guys tried Kazaa for downloads? Got an excellent version of Lord of the Rings back in early December and with ADSL, I just leave the computer on all night and wake up to about 5 new movies, a dozen Friends/Seinfeld/South Park etc episodes and about 20 new tunes!! It rocks!!!