New to this forum/New to snow!

Be honest, please! Are older people (I'm 50) able to learn skiing from scratch? I don't want to reach any kind of perfection but just to be able to ski easy slopes and enjoy myself. I'm a bit overweight - not grossly - wear glasses and am not in very good condition and have no experience of snow sports - I'm from the south of India where there are only 3 seasons, the HOT, the HOTTER and the HOTTEST. However, I've learnt that a few ski resorts have been opened up in the Himalayas and would like to go there but I'm not sure I'll be able to learn to ski, in the first place.

Also are there ski resorts in Japan - I live in Nagoya and so am looking for places nearby - where beginners who don't speak Japanese can receive basic ski instruction?

Thanks a lot!

rakins

Hi rakins

Of course you can start at 50. Got strong knees? Good... You should just go out there and enjoy yourself, but it's pretty much at the end of the season down where you are. Travel up a bit to Nagano and you will find "better" snow.

Probably best to wait until next season to get some nice soft snow. Learning on hard bad snow conditions won't be the best of fun and it might put you off all together. My advice, for what it's worth.

I'm not new to snow, but new to Japan - I would advise that you just wait until next season to start as from what I have read on here the snow conditions are heavy and not good right now. Best to wait until the powdery light stuff comes later in the year to take it up and enjoy the most.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get out at all rakins or take the advice to wait until next season starts? Probably best if you did that.

Its only another 4 months before we can start to really start to anticipate the new season.

Anyway, see ya early May!

• 7 years later...