DJ Shadow

Shibusashirazu Orchestra

The Skatalites

Spiritualized

The String Cheese Incident

Yura Yura Teikoku

(alphabetical order)

What a funny lineup!

Here are some pointers on the some of the ones you mightn't know about.

Dry and Heavy are a Japanese reggae band named after a Burning Spear dub album. They play heavy oldskool dub reggae and have got the classic Tubby/Jammy sound off pat. Dig an di nice soun a di drum an di bassline. Make a date - don't be late - you boun t'appreciate. The singers they use are pretty weak though.

Cinematic Orchestra are a 21st Century jazz band from the UK. Gilles Peterson loves em. Look well out of place here.

Rhymester are a Japanese hiphop act who don't dabble in rock like DragonAsh. One of them's quite good at riding a rhythm, they use some nice backing tracks (on "mimi wo kasu beki" etc.) on their album "Respect" and I'd imagine they'll get the crowd going.

OK the big question here is....

Is it worth a trip up from Kansai. Can't say I really like any of the lineup so far, but what's the vibe like??

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmm, the "vibe" eh? Well, it differs every time in the particulars, but in essence it's always pretty much the same.

It's a light blue colour, and it throbs with a slightly parabolic tendency. It's always accompanied by a distinct aroma of violets but with an oaky finish. Beyond that, it's hard to say really. But I like it - it's a great vibe.

Does everybody get stoned at this event?

Daddy?

Yes, son?

What does regret mean?

Well son, a funny thing about regret is...

It's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.

And by the way, If you see your mom this weekend, be sure and tell her...

SATAN!

Yes folks, those mad qualified accountants the B-hole Surfers are on too. I never knew they were still going. "Human Cannonball" makes an appearance in one of the Forum boarding vids, but other than that I hadn't heard of them in years.

If the big George is on too, I may have to go, esp if Bootsy and Bernie are coming.

Ga ga goo ga!

Ga ga goo-ga!

Ga ga goo ga ga!

so I've heard that with a 2-day trek you can enter the fuji festival from the backside, for "free admission"...

not that I endorse such behaviour...i just wondered if anybody else knows about this...

I went to Fuji Rock last year.

The best thing was the vibe and atmosphere.

But the music - well, the music I saw - was lets face it crap.

Oasis were sleepwalking.

Neil Young was, well, Neil Young.

New Order were looking old and fat.

The vibe was good though.

And it was really hot.

Danz, hike over from Greenpia Tsunan on the other side of Mount Naeba (which is kinda far from Naeba resort anyway).

- according to my friend "in the know". (Maybe).