Off topic, but - World Cup predictions

Here goes....

Final 4:

- France

- Italy

- Argentina

- Brzail (not on best form, but climate and occasion will help)

Winner - Italy

[This message has been edited by russel (edited 20 April 2002).]

Alex "rent-a-moan" Ferguson reckons Italy will win. Had del Piero taken a couple of good chances, they would have won Euro 2000. In typical azurri fashion, they didn't look that good during that tournament, but still managed to win most of their games.

I would have fancied France with Pires but am not so sure now. Perennial underachievers Spain may come on stronger than normal, as may Portugal. If Keano is around, Eire could do a Croatia and get quite far.

Based solely on the amount of money I'm going to have to pay for tickets and the amount of expectation and excitement I want in return, the final winner will be -

England!

(you've got to have faith)

Go boys!

Argentina? Out in the first round. Group of Death, mate. They couldn't beat a 10-man England the last time (no pens this time), and I reckon the Swedes will also get a result off them. Freddie Ljundberg and his aerodynamic cheekbones are on epic form and Henrik Larsson is always going to be there or thereabouts. I'm sure those nice Swedes'll do their bit to help Sven Gordon and repay him for his patriotic choice of mistress. It's a pity we're not playing them in the last game otherwise we could've done a Germany-Austria like back in '82.

"Sven's the man, he's got a plan, we've found a super Swede"