Chips, Fries, Hot Chips, Crisps, Wedges, Potato Chips...?

Hey all...

Whats you differences....

in Australia....

Chips are a packet of chips (ie. Smiths Thins BBQ/S & V/chicken flavor etc)

French Fries or Fries are more commonly known as Hot Chips (ie. somthing you'd get at maccas or KFC)

Crisps...?? i think thats a pommie thing...?

Wedges are like a wedge of potato - hot.

Potato Chips tend also to be Hot chips?

What is it all in your own countrys.

*bored sam!*

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Practice, Grasshopper. Long, arduous practice.

I'll have some chips, fried, crisps, wedges and potato chips please!

One week, the chicken got so boring that one tried Kung Pao chicken. It was refreshing; revitalising, zesty. So much so that the Next Thursday was decided there and then to be Kung Pao day. But hey

• 10 years later...

My take on this:

Chips = those fried from potatoes at the fish n chip shop

French fries = McD's and KFC and all factory pulped fries passing off as chips. There are thick fries now trying to pass off as chips

Crisps = comes out of a packet, manufactured by Walkers, Golden Wonder, Smith's, M&S, Calbee etc.

Wedges = Potatoes, unpeeled, cut larger than chips and fried

In the UK we say

Chips for the hot slices of potatoes that are fried and often bought at a fish and chip shop.

Crisps are the thin slices of potatoes found in packets at a supermarket such as Smiths or Walkers.

No, ``we'' don't agree. You can have crisps in the UK; here in Japan we have potato chips, preferably Calbee nori-shio (the world's best potato chips) although it's not anathema to mix in some black pepper chips, say one bag of black pepper to two bags of nori-shio. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

No, ``we'' don't agree. You can have crisps in the UK; here in Japan we have potato chips, preferably Calbee nori-shio (the world's best potato chips) although it's not anathema to mix in some black pepper chips, say one bag of black pepper to two bags of nori-shio. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

+1 Those nori shio are about the best. Friends back home always request them as omiyage.

I like to make sweet potato hot chips baked in the oven.

My wife bought a little round chip maker for the microwave. It only makes about 20 chips at a time (5 min) but you just slice the potato and stack them in this thing. No oil but they still come out crispy. Add a little rock salt as they cool....yum and healthy.

My wife bought a little round chip maker for the microwave. It only makes about 20 chips at a time (5 min) but you just slice the potato and stack them in this thing. No oil but they still come out crispy. Add a little rock salt and sprinkle on some shredded nori as they cool....yum and healthy.

Fixed it for ya :D

My wife bought a little round chip maker for the microwave. It only makes about 20 chips at a time (5 min) but you just slice the potato and stack them in this thing. No oil but they still come out crispy. Add a little rock salt and sprinkle on some shredded nori as they cool....yum and healthy.

Fixed it for ya :D

You need to see someone about that nori fixation my friend...maybe some kaiso 12 step program or something.. :wave: