No, I hate everything about them. Buying kerosene, filling them up, cleaning the fan, the unhealthy smell, the constant racket, the uneven temperature...

Winter is great, but kerosene stoves are a very primitive response.

needing a good heater is new to me.

what is regarded as a good means? effective, cheap, easy etc.

I have air conditioners on the walls all through the house but I suspect that they may be a tad expensive.

Air con is easy, but not cheap.

The kerosene glass lamp type is cheap, and effective up to a point (fine for Tokyo).

Only the kerosene fan heater will do the job in Nagano - gotta blast that hot air across the room (and out the cracks in the doors and windows). Radiant heat just doesn't go fast enough!

Electric stoves cost a fortune to run and are not very hot either. But then you don't have to muck about with stinky kerosene.

effective, cheap, easy etc? - you can't have it all, not here in high-tech Japan.

I kinda like the smell, but that's probably cause I associate it with being up in the snow country. I think I'd rather have my aircons and lecie carpet instead of inhaling fumes all winter. Is it a much cheaper way of heating the house or do people use them cause they don't have aircons?

When I was 16 I worked part time in a ski rental shop on a mountain. Each night we would arc up this heater to dry the gear and teh floors.

This heater was like a jet engine that had been taken from a F16. Very awesome.