Japanese foods you can't stomach

My friend told me about something called ikanoshiowara or something that was like the innards of a squid in some alkaline smelling pink sauce. eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif Was he having me on?

The other thread about natto is interesting, any other foods that are 'interesting' and 'challenging'? ;\)

Your friend was not having you on (although is it actually guts?) The food in question is an acquired taste, but not at all bad, especially with shochu.

I'm not altogether fond of sato-imo (taro in English apparently). Eating it once before the onset of a nasty stomach illness may be the cause. They have that squishy greyness about them - uck!

Something strange has come over me of late. I can no longer stomach sushi... I am hoping it is temporary.

i had been a way surfing and was starving. My Japanese friends girlfriend decided we should go to the local sushi train as it was cheap.

Problem 1. the fact that the sushi had to pass under the sweaty faces of about 30 people before it reached me.

Problem 2. Cheap and also very large servings. All of a sudden it was no longer sushi, but huge slices of raw fish. Sounds silly me saying this but there is a difference (to me). Some bits of fish were the size of my hand, and all wet and smelly. I have had smaller steaks of beef than those fillets of fish.

problem 3. Cheap sushi + huge slices of fish = really bad quality.

So, for the moment, Sushi is one Japanese food that i just cant stomach. It was a bad experience, but I was starving and had to eat.

deeb's im with u on that hey!

i mean the sushi trains here have everything in plastic containers but i can even think of eating sushi, i mean i say i will try in when we go to japan cause i think i should but....

i dont like seaweed... BLAH and

rice... dude whats with rice... do ya chew it do ya just swallow it whole i donno im not a fan thats 4 sure...

and i donno what about the stuff inside....

meh,.. me no sushi girl!!

yuk.gif

I went out for dinner in Japan with a English poofter of my acquaintance who delighted in giving a quite revolting performance involving tororo. Best to consider the sexual orientation of your companions before ordering that one.

so whats with drying meat hey?

the only dryed things i have every eaten is oh dried apple and dried banana...

i c dried fruit is slightly normal to me but dried meat and also dried bugs and things...?

meh i dont get it!

Echi - I have certainly had great sushi since I have been here. It was just this one experience that gave me problems with sushi. I still feel ill when I think about those huge slices of fish.

I really enjoy some dried meat products. There are some ok ones in Japan, but the best is South African... Bilton (not sure about the spelling). A little like American jerky.

Also, some russians like a whole dried and heavily salted small fish that you tear bits off as you drink a beer. I also like this.

Also pays to take a glance at the kitchen. I have seen food prepared in areas that would be illegal in Australia. I have seen some private Japanese household kitchens that are even worse.

Only a very small % are bad, but when they are bad, they are down right unhygenic.

I was at a ramen place in Ibaraki, 9pm, there was a cockroach on the bench near my bowl. I pointed it out to the cook behind the bench... he picked up the thing like a salt shaker and put it on top of the bug, then walked of. So did I.

At my favourite local izakaya recently, I ordered sashimi which came with grated daikon. There were a couple of tame cockroaches scoping out our place settings, and when we finished eating, they invaded our plates. One of the little gokiburi fellas got hold of a big piece of grated daikon and was gamely trying to drag it off to feed his family. It was quite touching really.

Got to agree with ya there Ocean... Sato imo is definitely gross. I dont know what it is about that shit but it's sorta like you are eating a bit of soft rubber or something. Very yuck indeed.

Tororo is a delicacy... who doesnt like that? At that price it should taste good. But the local izakaya isn't exactly the best place to order it!

Mentaiko isn't much chop either. I am told it is good with Beer or shochu or something but I dont know, it is just the texture of that stuff. No good.

Raw horse is usually served with such strong sauce that it's hard to know what it tastes of.

The Japanese food I have most problems with is the various Japanese variations of pasta with roe and sea weed. Even the soy sauce based ones without roe are pretty bad. I won't eat pasta in any restaurant that has such stuff on their menu.