11月下旬, time for this season's Fukushima thread.

Some planned openings:

11/23:

Minowa

12/1:

11/30:

Grandeco

12/15:

12/12:

Urabandai Nekoma

12/19:

Aizu Kogen Takatsue

12/21:

Numajiri

Grand Sunpia Inawashiro Resort

Grandee Hatoriko

12/22:

ALTS Bandai

Adatara Kogen

Listel Ski Fantasia

Family Snow Park Bandai x2

Inawashiro

Urabandai

Sannokura

Tadami

TenEi

12/27:

Aizu Kogen Takahata

Aizu Kogen Nango

Minowa were the first in the region to open last year. Judging from webcams they look to be in the running for that record this year as well, though no word yet on plans. We'll see. and now, they have just announced they will open Friday, Nov. 23.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dissapointed not to have got up to Fukushima last season, but I didn't know anybody with a car. Hoping to manage a couple of days this season, as I have a friend in Tsukuba now who wants to go and should have wheels...!

The following Fukushima ski areas will give 20-22 year-olds free lift tickets on weekdays from 1/15/2013 to 3/31/2013:

Nihonmatsu Shiozawa

Adatara Kogen

Grandee Hatoriko

Ten-Ei

Hinoemata Onsen

Aizu Kogen Daikura

Aizu Kogen Nango

Aizu Kogen Takahata

Aizu Kogen Takatsue

Fairy Land Kaneyama

Inawashiro

Urabandai

Yokomuki Onsen

Numajiri

Grand Suntopia Inawashiro Resort

Urabandai Nekoma

Listel Ski Fantasia

Minowa

ALTS Bandai

Grandeco

Family Snow Park Bandai x2

(I.e., pretty much all of them except for Sannokura, Yanaizu and Tadami.)

Registration required. For details, do a web search on: 雪マジ!ふくしま

Note that this is a separate program from the nationwide 雪マジ!19 program for 19-year-olds, which is also being repeated this year. For details on that one, do a web search on: 雪マジ!19

I'll probably mostly be hitting Inawashiro as my main place mid-season, and Grandeco early and late season (planning to hit Grandeco's opening day this Saturday). But I also want to get around to some of the places I have never been to yet, and will also hit up Adatara Kogen at some point.

As for scenery, the best views of the lake, from the flanks of Mt. Bandai, are probably from Inawashiro and Grand Sunpia Inawashiro Resort.

If you want views OF Mt. Bandai, Grandeco has a nice view of the back-side, and I suspect Numajiri and Minowa may as well.

Then there is Adatara Kogen, which I suspect has an expansive view out towards the Pacific if only the weather is clear in that direction, which it never has been when I have gone.

What are peoples favorite resort in Fukushima?

Others have wider experience than I do. The only ones I have been to so far (hope to hit more this season) are Grandeco, Adatara Kogen, Inawashiro, Alts, Nekoma and Grandee Hatoriko. I would say I'm more partial to the first 3 on that list than the last 3, though not necessarily for reasons that others would share (history, character, or just personal historical reasons).

Scenes from Grandeco, 1 Dec. 2012:

gallery_10844_214_41147.jpg

gallery_10844_214_163511.jpg

gallery_10844_214_115663.jpg

gallery_10844_214_120237.jpg

gallery_10844_214_54876.jpg

gallery_10844_214_78999.jpg

Today was Grandeco's planned opening day, though they actually managed to open yesterday. #1 Quad lift running, serving the 2-km Center Course. A bit of a queue as can be seen, but not too bad. 5 minutes? Less than 10, anyway. Flurries in the morning, a bit of blue sky and sun mid-day, then clouding over again and snowing for the rest of the day. Somewhat windy at the top of the chair. Snow was packed powder on top of an artificial base, which made for a nice, fast surface on the upper part of the course, though some icy spots opened up lower down later in the day.

One of the early-season pleasures is some of the natural features to play around on, before the snow deepens and fills in and smooths out the natural terrain.

Cold, but not too cold -- just cold enough to keep everything dry.

A good day to be out, and a nice chance to say hi to some familiar faces.

Well done Metabo

:wave:

What's with they yellow security sign on the front?

I see you got some blue skies (after the snow, later on in the day?)

Kind of reminds me of the silly 'increased anti-terrorism in force' signs that I have seen in the mountain village of Yamakoshi! (Though perhaps there is some reason why it is a top terrorist target!)

;)

Cheers, muikabochi and fukdane.

What's with they yellow security sign on the front?

You know, I have no idea. It seems to have been there for quite some time -- found someone's blog from 2007 where they wonder about the sign.

Some kind of anti-theft drive or something?

I see you got some blue skies (after the snow, later on in the day?)

The sun came out for a while, but went away again later.

Kind of reminds me of the silly 'increased anti-terrorism in force' signs that I have seen in the mountain village of Yamakoshi! (Though perhaps there is some reason why it is a top terrorist target!)

;)

The signs have obviously been effective, as I have not heard of any terrorism occurring in Yamakoshi.