Nikko (Tochigi) - 7th November 2012

nikko-21.jpg

After spending time in the beautiful garden it was on to the temples and shrines. And stone lantern thingies. ;)

It was pretty busy, perhaps as you might expect in peak autumn - if this was a Wednesday, I would not want to be there at the weekend!

nikko-22.jpg

nikko-23.jpg

nikko-24.jpg

nikko-25.jpg

nikko-26.jpg

nikko-27.jpg

nikko-28.jpg

nikko-29.jpg

nikko-30.jpg

nikko-31.jpg

nikko-32.jpg

nikko-33.jpg

nikko-34.jpg

nikko-35.jpg

After a bizarre hail/sleet (?) storm - it actually went dark and ice was falling from the sky! - it suddenly totally cleared up again and the sun was out.

Very strange weather indeed. And what happened to the sun-sun-sun-sun forecast for the day?

Next I drove up to Kirifuri Kogen, the mountain going up behind Nikko. There used to be an open skijo up here, but not now.

nikko-36.jpg

nikko-37.jpg

nikko-38.jpg

nikko-39.jpg

nikko-40.jpg

nikko-45.jpg

nikko-41.jpg

Then it was time to make my way back to Niigata.

nikko-42.jpg

This was just before the sun went down near Yumoto Onsen on the way back.

nikko-44.jpg

nikko-1.jpg

Beautiful region.

• Like 1

Lovely. It's great that you go to Nikko and still end up posting photos of trees.

I've not been out and about that much, but the long summer and abrupt snap to autumn have the colours looking fantastic this year.

Not only trees, but lanterns.

There's some temples in there! ;)

Autumn is mostly about the trees anyway.

Looks fantastic. :thumbsup:

You can't beat nature!

(fwiw, the light looks too bright for optimally photographing the shrines)

:friend:

Well, I like trees! :grandpa:

Been to Nikko a few times and have lots of temple photos - there were too many people around to get good shots really as well. I'm not keen on people-populated photos.

(fwiw, the light looks too bright for optimally photographing the shrines)

You're right Mr Wiggles, at times it certainly was. There were clouds in and out during the morning while I was at the temples, I have a fair few that have either that dull or washed out feel. Not good looks those.

I won't post them. ;)

Light hey, it can really make or break photos in a big big way.

Kyoto is more of a collection of places. Throw in Ohara and Kurama and Uji and Arashiyama, and there is plenty to enjoy. With the leaves being so good this time, around here anyway, it might be a good year to go and battle the crowds there.

You need to get yourself a garden Muika! If you do, maples and stone lanterns are not expensive.

A Japanese maple (or "acer" if you're a poncey person on a British gardening program) that will cost hundreds in the UK can be had for a few thousand yen in Japan.

There is some temple in there!! :lol:

I think that waterfall is called Kirifuri-no-taki 霧降の滝

You walk down about 300m to a viewing platform and can just see it from there.

Definitely worth a visit Tubby, outstanding area.

Someone else will know that more than me - about a week of peak times? Though do different trees go at different times I suppose?

Actually I know nothing.

Other than them there damn pretty photos.

About a week sounds right.

We chose the trees for our garden mainly based on autumn colour but they don't change at the same time. We've got three very similar looking maples, but there is a lot of variation among them.

Very nice, muika. Somehow imagine that had I tried to take the same photos, they would all have come out grey.

How was the Iroha-zaka? I heard it was a parking lot last week, just totally jammed, even on a week day.