It may not get as much attention as the Hokkers, Hakkers and Nozzles of the world, but one thing Fukushima is getting is... snow! clap

Gran Deco got 22 cm today, and has announced it is (partially) opening Wednesday, Dec. 1st. Minowa has also announced it will "pre-open" that day.

Nekoma got 15 cm, and is currently planning to open Saturday, Dec. 4th.

ALTS and Inawashiro have pretty pictures to show, but are not opening yet.

Go Fukushima!

Looked grim going into the weekend with the big rain on Friday, but a Friday night dump let Gran Deco re-open the #1 quad on Saturday. Cold and windy, but a decent, if thin, layer of fresh snow made for some good, fast runs:

Metabo%20Oyaji_103.JPG

Metabo%20Oyaji_104.JPG

Metabo%20Oyaji_105.JPG

Sunday warmed up above freezing, bringing spring skiing conditions -- and huge crowds. One of the employees said it had not been that crowded since the ski boom years. The gondola and #2 quad opened, which took some of the load off, but all the good skiing was off the #1 quad, so the lines there never shrank. The conditions off the #2 quad were distinctly Welsh-looking (I think I spotted MikePow there smile ), and the upper Akadeko Course was completely worn out by the end of the day.

Upper Akadeko Course (#2 quad):

Metabo%20Oyaji_106.JPG

Lower Center Course (#1 quad):

Metabo%20Oyaji_107.JPG

Got two days of good thigh-burning action in, which will probably have to hold me until the new year.

The Center Course was apparently still hanging in there by a hair on Monday, but could desperately use the next round of snow fall.

Minowa was also open that weekend, though didn't visit.

• 1 month later...

Haven't been out since then, but planning to hit Adatara Kogen tomorrow, which will be a new place for me.

You been out yet, nashiman?

Plan then to head back to the area in two weeks. Haven't decided where to go yet. The webcam does look good, Tubby, though I may also try somewhere new.

I went to Nekoma a couple of years ago, but it was in the middle of a late-season blizzard, windy and icy, and with a kid who had not at that point yet graduated much beyond the Family Gelaende, so did not get as much out of it as we could have. It does have a reputation for good quality powder, and I plan to give it another shot at some point. Don't know about the tree skiing there.

Interesting that it has a season about two months longer than ALTS, on the opposite side of the same ridge. Funny the way micro-climates work.

I really enjoyed Nekoma! It took a little longer to get there than we hoped, and they closed all the lifts at 4, so we didnt really get to ski as much as we wanted, but what we did was really good! It snowed pretty much the entire day so we had a boot-knee deep everywhere. Very few people there, particularly on the upper slopes and by the end of the day, we had entire slopes to ourselves! Especially liked the lack of ropes and plenty of opportunities to ski in fairly well spaced trees on slopes with a decent angle. Nice food, good local beer and a very nice onsen nearby! Hope to go again before the seasons out.

Pics: It was poor visibility and quite windy, so didnt really take any pics. I made one attempt while waiting for my friends stuck in the powder: this was the result, so I gave up and decided to wait for a sunny day!

nippontiger_7.JPG

Maybe I should just leave the photography to Muikabochi! lol

They are not directly connected, but right next to each other on the opposite side of the same ridge. There is a bus connecting the two, and its not so far, but it takes about 60 minutes in the winter conditions.

Lift ticket for Nekoma is a bit cheaper at 4000 yen and if you buy from a local conbini, you get a 500 yen lunch ticket. I think the parking was free, too.

You cant see much in my picture, but hopefully you can just make out the open, empty space with few tracks in the powder, and the tempting trees in the background. I didnt go in there as it seemed a bit flat at the bottom and I didnt fancy getting stuck!

It was a bit of an unusual day in that the snow had come right across to the Pacifc coast - even had a cm or two in Tsukuba. Headed up the Joban expressway which was clear and then on to the Ban-Etsu expressway which was pretty clear but there had been about 10 cms snowfall in many areas. We changed to snow chains as we got off the expressway at Inawashiro and from there it took an hour or so as we had to go slow on the snowy roads - the back end of the car spun out 180 degrees at one point! We had to turn around and put one of the snow chains back on! Another car coming the opposite way did exactly the same at the same spot! Coming back was worse - it had snowed all day and we had to keep the snow chains on until 3/4 way down the Ban-Etsu - took a long time and couldnt really get the foot down until back on the Joban. It wasnt traffic that delayed us, just the snow on the roads meant we had to slow down an awful lot. We would've been a lot faster with snow tires and 4 wheel drive.

Looks like this weekend could be similar conditions with heavy snow forecast even pushing across to the pacific coast side - allow some extra time for snow on the road. If you just have snow chains on the front tires, then be extra careful about back wheels slipping out on corners!