Well, after spending a pretty sweet day at Madarao Kogen we headed over to Ryuoo Ski Park in Kita Shiga Kogen. One of the reasons I love this website so much is that I had never heard of this place before a couple of SJ'ers recommended that I check it out (thanks SKI and Iiyamadude wave ).

When we arrived at the hill we were surprised to find that our super cheap accommodation (7000Â¥ for stay, lift ticket and breakfast) was actually ski in ski out and located half way up the piste! Score!

Early on in the evening it was looking very promising as the snow was bucketing down. But by the time we had gotten settled down and a few beers in the snow had stopped. Boo! We found out later that this didn't seem to matter much as we found fresh lines in the trees until the end of the day!

Some pics

View from the top of the ropeway. +1900m.

Black%20Mountain_59.JPG

Absolutely stunning views on this mountain. One of the most beautiful places I've boarded in Japan.

Black%20Mountain_60.JPG

The trees were just loaded with snow as the temps remain consistently low at the top of the hill.

Black%20Mountain_61.JPG

Black%20Mountain_62.JPG

Black%20Mountain_63.JPG

Midway up the hill.

Black%20Mountain_64.JPG

Ropeway in the distance

Black%20Mountain_65.JPG

G looking super serious as he carves up the pow!

Black%20Mountain_66.JPG

Deep in the forest.

Black%20Mountain_67.JPG

Getting out from behind the camera again. Amazingly, this was the last run of the day and we found freshies from top to bottom!

Black%20Mountain_74.jpg

Waving bye~bye

Black%20Mountain_75.jpg

Oh, hello!

Black%20Mountain_76.jpg

Emerging from the white room.

Black%20Mountain_77.jpg

Soaring like an eagle! (kind of smile )

Black%20Mountain_73.jpg

This resort is A+ in my books. It wasn't crowded. Had beautiful snow even though it hadn't snowed in 2 days. The elevation ensures that the snow that is there stays perfect and fluffy throughout the day. There are challenging steep and deep tree runs and probably one of the only 'true' black diamond runs I've seen in Japan. Steep and very long.

The ropeway connecting the Valley area with the Sky Land area was quick and comfortable (8 mins to cover 1100m vertical, max capacity 150+ people!) I'm planning on going back after the next big snowfall to explore more of the mountain as one day didn't seem like quite enough time.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone. Glad you enjoyed.

Spook, this resort isn't all that far away from where you are now. We could very easily see Mt. Myoko for the upper part of Ryuoo. I'd suggest getting over there if you get the chance. I've been dreaming of that top to bottom run the last two nights... thinking about heading back there this weekend (if only for a day trip)!

Yeah, take the Joetsu and get off at the Shinshu Nakano I.C. Follow route 403 for about 20 mins and you are there.

We left Ryuoo at 5:30 and were back in Numazu at 9:00 (two stops along the way for food and dropping off a friend). Surprisingly, there was no traffic even though we were coming back on a Sunday night. I guess we waited just long enough for the traffic to have died down a bit. People are so predictable with their driving habits!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Thanks everyone. Glad you enjoyed.

Spook, this resort isn't all that far away from where you are now. We could very easily see Mt. Myoko for the upper part of Ryuoo. I'd suggest getting over there if you get the chance. I've been dreaming of that top to bottom run the last two nights... thinking about heading back there this weekend (if only for a day trip)!

sweet BM. it sounds pretty ace. i guess for us transport is a bit of an issue - not having a car turns a simple trip into a bit of a drama.

had a sick day at suginohara today though. rode for 8 hours - first chair to last runs. yeeha! funny thing is we only really rode the gondola and the top lift, just lapping trees all day.. and we still didn't manage to track it out

only been here two weeks now...! got another two weeks to go. thought we'd maximise our snow time because it's been a few years.

seeing as i've been drooling over everyone else's pics and trip reports it's only fair that i return the favour. you'll just have to be patient cos we're working on it... will definitely put up an in depth report and lots of pics when we're done

you ski today muikabochi? you seem to get a lot of time on the mountain

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Actually TB, I take the Chuo Expressway to Kofu and then drive through Fujinomiya so I don't go anywhere near Tokyo. If you want to come along sometime you'll have to get the train down here first wink

haha...yeah I didn't think you would detour past here. doh