Absolutely disgusting 'food' from around the world

Mr Cheesemans Italian Rotting Cheese thread got me looking at some other disgusting things.

We've had the natto discussions etc but what about other places?

Check this one out for starters:

Balut takes a top spot by a landslide among the gross egg category, which should include 100-year old eggs. Balut is a fairly common and unassuming street food available in both the Philipines and Vietnam. It has also earned a widespread reputation as one of the all-time grossest ethnic delicacies. Most of the eggs with which Americans are familiar are unfertilized eggs. The balut, though are fertilized duck eggs, incubated or allowed to grow invitro for a certain length of time, usually a few weeks. Peel back the shell and along with a typical soft-boiled eggy interior is also the small inert body of a fetal duck—small bones, feathers, beak and all, some more developed than others. Most accounts suggest slurping it right from the shell with a pinch of salt.

balut.jpg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bat soupbatsoup.jpg

First, net a bunch of flying mouse, fruit, or fox bats in a remote village.

Drop live into a pot of boiling water or milk.

Roast to desired doneness.

Chop and make into paste with Thai herbs and spices.

Or when you have an abundance of fruit bats, try this optional Fruit Bat Soup recipe.

Bats are part of the native cuisine in Thailand, parts of China, Guam and more, but they are considered notorious disease carriers. You might want to consider dropping them to the bottom of your culinary To-Try list.

Here's one

Caterpilla Fungus is a species of parasitic fungus that grows on insect larvae. The fungus invades the body of the Thitarodes caterpillars, eventually killing and mummifying it. The dark brown to black fruiting body (or mushroom) emerges from the ground in spring or early summer, always growing out of the forehead of the caterpillar. The fungus is commonly used as a Chinese or Tibetan medicine where it is used as an aphrodisiac and as a treatment for a variety of ailments, from fatigue to cancer. It is also served in soup

weird-winter-worms2-797062.jpg

pic-of-spider-758560.jpg.jpg

These spiders from Skuon in Cambodia are similar to North American Tarantulas. They are bred in holes in the ground especially for eating and are deep fried. The texture is described as crispy-chewy and some say it tastes similar to crab. Like Tarantulas, these spiders can bite. They were a regular survival food of the Khmer Rouge. The photograph above is an actual photo of one of the spiders ready to be eaten. Here is a rather unfortunate description

The taste itself is not strong, it’s the cripsy-chewy texture that is most appealing. Make sure you have some paper napkins, as the black juice from these is greasy and it doesn’t look good on your goatee.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Here's one

Caterpilla Fungus is a species of parasitic fungus that grows on insect larvae. The fungus invades the body of the Thitarodes caterpillars, eventually killing and mummifying it. The dark brown to black fruiting body (or mushroom) emerges from the ground in spring or early summer, always growing out of the forehead of the caterpillar. The fungus is commonly used as a Chinese or Tibetan medicine where it is used as an aphrodisiac and as a treatment for a variety of ailments, from fatigue to cancer. It is also served in soup

weird-winter-worms2-797062.jpg

that is quite delish. I have had some. The last one last week.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
quarter%2Bpounder%2Bireland.jpg

Quarter Pounder with cheese.
Usually seen eaten by large people

Mantas, this is a thread for DISGUSTING food, this photo belongs in the Cho-Yummy thread

Yeah I've never quite understood the rabid Aussie dislike of Maccas. Anyway here in Japan most love it and you can go without being made to feel like you're in cohorts with the Devil.

Anyway here's a must have book for the more adventurous palates out there

51KYK32D84L._SS500_.jpg

Macca is disgusting.. Man why one eats that sheet when you can get a Real Aussie burger with the lot at your greasy milk bar is a mystery. I have left an unfinished quarter pounder in my desk drawer and after 2 weeks when I found it, it still looked as I just left it then.

Must be doped with lots of preservatives or what!? Anyways, it's one of those meat you an only eat it with mustard and ketchup or whatever sauce to cover up the yukkyness.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Macca is disgusting.. Man why one eats that sheet when you can get a Real Aussie burger with the lot at your greasy milk bar is a mystery. I have left an unfinished quarter pounder in my desk drawer and after 2 weeks when I found it, it still looked as I just left it then.
Must be doped with lots of preservatives or what!? Anyways, it's one of those meat you an only eat it with mustard and ketchup or whatever sauce to cover up the yukkyness.

Is it only me, or is the problem here not the presence or absence of preservatives in a Quarter Pounder, but the use of a desk drawer as a legitimate place for perishible food storage?
lol

Kids in school did experiments recently with perishables and mould growth. They brought in different types of bread - including a macca's burger (for the novelty) and let them sit for days/ weeks checking mould growth and recording it.

The macca's burger was the only one that did not grow mould in the time they examined it. Some breads went mouldy real quick others slower - possibly related to preservative content, also possibly related to the cleanliness of slicing equipment.

• 1 month later...

Eat slugs in tomato sauce, says television chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

The television foodie will show how to cook the slimy creatures in his River Cottage programme on Channel 4.

It is the latest in a series of stomach-turning episodes for fans of the organic chef, who have already seen him serve dishes that include woodlice, garden snails and a human placenta.

In this latest programme, to be shown on Wednesday, he rinses slime off the slugs with hot water and vinegar then simmers them in stock before adding tomato sauce.

In other recipes he stuffs them with herbs and spices, batters them to make fritters and adds chilli and garlic to create a slug satay.

The 44-year-old tells viewers: "There is surely not that much difference between a slimy slug and a tasty snail."

But after handing them out to staff at River Cottage, he admits: "I can heartily recommend those dishes, with just one small adjustment – leave out the slugs."

Earlier this year Mr Fearnley-Whittingstall was criticised by Asda chief executive Andy Bond who accused him and other television chefs of patronising shoppers on a tight budget with their credo of organic and fresh food.

Viewers saw Mr Fearnley-Whittingstall struggling to persuade a single mother to spend £1 more by buying Freedom Food chicken, a label certified by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

“Was I the only one who found Hugh's manner patronising to the single mum who should pay more for higher welfare chicken?†Mr Bond wrote.

“I'd like to see the reception he'd get if he joined me on an accompanied shop or customer listening group – not on camera so it turns into a pantomime – but so he can get closer to the challenges real people, ultimately his audience or customers, face on a daily basis.â€

Mr Fearnley-Whittingstall can be seen cooking slugs on River Cottage at 8pm.

---

A slug, this morning

large_slug2.jpg