Snow and weather reports posted on Tuesday 20th March 2018
Geto Kogen Now!
Sunday 4th March 2018, 7:03am
A fairly calm and uneventful day in the way of weather yesterday, tops of 4C and the sun shining with the runs freshly groomed.
Today, we’re in for an interesting morning on the hill. Starting with tops of 10C, though by this afternoon it should drop to about 4C. Clear blue skies and winds dipping up and down, at the most getting up to moderate, though a bit heavier up the top.
I’m afraid for the next week we’re in for some particularly disheartening weather. Though the sun will be out for the most part, we’re looking at about 30mm of rain tonight into Monday morning, and a bit of snow if we’re lucky. In this case, I’d take blizzards and zero visibility over this, any day of the week.
We should see some snow early in the week, but only about 10cm, then as the days go on the temps are set to just continue rising, with Thursday and Friday giving us more than a bit of rain… We can’t control the weather (yet), so here’s what we know so far…
Monday: moderate rain with light evening snow, calm skies & tops of 5C Tuesday: snow showers, moderate winds & tops of -5C Wednesday: snow showers, calm skies & tops of -2C Thursday: cloudy with heavy rain & tops of 6C Friday: more heavy rain… tops of 11C
Official snow depths:
Top: 485cm Base: 325cm
Night skiing operations have finished for the season. Read more ...
Sunday 4th March 2018, 7:31am
Well there were plenty of people out yesterday enjoying the copious quantities of new snow that varied from about 50cm over 2 days in the village to over a metre on the resort! It was heavy in places but with the right aspect factored in there was some very good stuff up there. Temperatures were very warm yesterday with lots of melt evident by water starting to stream down roads and the tar seal just breaking through in places.
Today the warmth continues with temperature right now already +2c and heading up to +7c. The next not so great news is that it is raining. It was coming down moderately an hour ago but has eased back to light rain, and is forecast to continue through until about midday. Expect snow conditions on mountain to be heavy and a bit wet. Cloud is low at the moment so there is plenty of flat light.
The rest of the week should be colder with some light snow, but on Thursday and Friday heavy rain its on the forecast. Read more ...
Nozawa Onsen Now!
Sunday 4th March 2018, 7:38am
Here we go folks.
Just how warm will it get, is what people are wondering today.
After a fine, mild day yesterday (some thin clouds appearing later in the day), today is starting with blue skies once again. Temperatures didn't dip below zero overnight and today the forecasts indicate a high of somewhere around 14-15C at base later on. Obviously that warmth is going to affect snow, so we can just hope that it doesn't get too warm while enjoying the fine weather.
I'm hearing a few people talk of itchy eyes as well - hay fever!
A return to colder conditions would be most welcome of course and we might get a bit more winter-like tomorrow into Tuesday, though there's a chance of rain tomorrow before the snow comes as it's due to remain warm during the daytime.
I really wish I could tell you more stories of potential upcoming heavy snow.
Being positive: Lots of snow remaining of course, very nice clear sunny weather to be outside. Go find that fun. I know I'm going to...
Sunday 4th March 2018
Fresh snowfall since yesterday (as reported by the resort):
Sun and sun. It was really nice out yesterday, although that snow got a bit spring sticky in places.
An even bluer sky today, it seems. Today will be warm; tomorrow looks very unusual, with the freezing level going up to 3400 meters, then coming down to 0 meters in just a little over a day.
Going out early today to check out the hills. Time to do a first spring skiing on some south-facing off-piste…. (so some reports aren’t in yet at 7:30 - but think positive temps, sun, and a little lower snowpack from yesterday).
After some pleasing conditions to be found yesterday, I'm afraid that it is not a very pleasing report that I have to write this morning.
Yes, there's no fresh snow to report (a dusting higher up perhaps?) but and worse still... rain.
Light rain last night and it is raining now this morning. Soggy. Hopefully that rain thing might ease off but it is definitely going to be a mild day today with temperatures at base in positive numbers.
Tomorrow should see colder conditions again and some fresh snow by Tuesday? Dunno, let's see what this 'weather' thing serves us. Would be nice though, rain is always a big downer.
I mixed up the lift information thingies for Niseko Annupuri and Niseko Village yesterday; that will be fixed today.
Warm air is flowing into the region through a low pressure system in the Sea of Japan. Above 1000m a strong southerly wind is blowing and visibility is poor. Although only a small amount of snow has fallen, a shallow cover of wet snow above 700m is sliding easily over wide areas on steep slopes. From observation and tests the snowdrift development from the storm over the last 72hrs has stabilised and general avalanche risk is low. However because of the amount snow there is the possibility of a large scale full depth avalanche or avalanche from a deep layer on longer steep slopes like Kozan no Sawa west ridge side around 1000m, Osawa cornice slope and the far side of Higashi One. To avoid accidents don't ride in the valley bottoms. Gate openings yet to be decided. Please listen to the patrols advice. Don't duck ropes to go out of bounds.
It's raining and the weather conditions are not good today. It's easy to catch and edge in the wet snow. Be careful falling into cracks. If your going for a hike, pick a gentle route in the forest. Have a good day.
Sunday 4th March 2018
Resort specific information (operations subject to change):
Lifts scheduled to be operating: - All lifts should be operating as planned (Country Road Chair lift not operating)
Official snow depth: - Top: 420cm - Base: 280cm
Floodlit 'nighta' skiing:
Night skiing is planned for every evening at the Niseko Grand Hirafu, Niseko Village and Niseko Annupuri areas. There is no nighta at the Niseko HANAZONO area. Ski lifts that are scheduled to be operating for nighta are noted below (subject to change):
* Niseko Grand Hirafu - Ace Family quad, Ace Number 2 quad, Hirafu Gondola, Holiday Number 1 pair * Niseko Annupuri - Jumbo Number 1 quad lift * Niseko Village - Village Express, Upper Village Gondola, Community Chair Read more ...
Sunday 4th March 2018, 8:20am
Fair blue skies
Good morning from Grandeco.
It is a warm and sunny morning here. Temperatures in positive numbers recorded by the base area of the resort - the snow conditions are going to be like spring snow. The temperature will rise higher as well during the day which is somewhat alarming.
Head high to get the better snow conditions.
According to the forecast, warmer days will remain for several days and it doesn't look like there is currently any fresh snow forecast for the week.
The snow depth is still enough to ski of course and that is not a problem at all - there has been more snowfall than usual this year.
Enjoy your spring skiing. (Hoping for a return to winter later in the month in your mind!)
Fine weather yesterday. Beautiful blue skies in the morning with some thin cloud turning up during the afternoon. And of course, those warm conditions. Spring feelings!
And today is starting similar to yesterday with clear blue skies. Snow conditions might be a bit hard first off but the sun is going to be out warming things up again today and they should be getting softer pretty quickly.
Double digit temperatures totally expected this afternoon. Don't get too high please!!
Warm conditions tomorrow too, though later on in the day temps are likely to drop -- cue rain and then hopefully snow overnight.
Well, I'm going to get my gear on and enjoy a few hours on the slopes this morning. I hope some of you can do that too.
Ski resort information on Sunday 4th March 2018 (at time of writing):
Good morning from Naeba! It's a warm start already here in the Mikuni Valley, with the air temperature reading 4°C. The pistes are soft and slushy, and there is plenty of spring skiing to be had across the mountain today. The temperature at the base is expected to get as high as 14°C this afternoon, and with no wind it's going to feel rather warm.
Looking forwards, we have a mixed few days ahead. Tomorrow, temperatures are expected to remain high, but will be accompanied by strong winds of up to 30kmph at the base. This will bring with it a moist band of air from the north west, which will initially bring heavy rain, which turns to snow overnight on Monday night. Tuesday is expected to be somewhat snowy, with the wind continuing to gust through the valley. Temperatures will drop below 0°C on Tuesday. Wednesday will be another warm and clear day. Later in the week, another band of warm, moist air will move into the valley, again forecast to bring with it heavy rain. Read more ...
Sunday 4th March 2018, 10:36am
Sunny with some clouds
Blazing Spring sun again today. The mercury reached 13C in Yubiso village around noon yesterday and Minakami town has a forecast high of 19C this afternoon.
Between the heavy rain a few days ago and the intense heat and sun since then, Tanigawadake puked up quite a bit of avi debris into the gullies.
Tomorrow is also forecast to be warm but overcast and it may rain before heavy snow tomorrow night.
As for the resort itself, conditions are pretty good. Soft snow from around 10am on and the run to the bottom was still fast yesterday afternoon. The Northern faces are a bit icy and chunky. The banked slalom race sees the mountain a lot busier than usual.
Please note that the snowfall numbers posted in this report will be observed from close to the base Tenjindaira Ropeway station - which is often much more than in the central town area of Minakami. Read more ...
Appi Kogen Now!
Sunday 4th March 2018, 11:45am
Fine, getting more overcast-clear now
Sunny conditions earlier on and getting a bit more of a bright but overcast feel now as we approach noon.
It is warming up here today and also pretty windy.
The Sailer gondola and quad are moving again today along with the Nishimori lift, but right now that wind is affecting the Central Number 4 and 5.
Fingers crossed for colder conditions again early week.
Planned lift operations (subject to change):
- APPI Gondola - Central quad - Central number 2 lift - Central number 3 lift A - Central number 4 lift - on hold now due to wind - Central number 5 lift - on hold now due to wind - Sailer Gondola - Sailer quad - Vista quad - Nishimori pair
Note: The Sailer Gondola, Central Number 4 lift and Vista quad are usually rested on normal weekdays