This morning there are patches of fog early on but I expect that will clear up leaving us with more sun for the day. There's a moderate wind, but lifts appear to be planning to start as planned - that may change of course.
There's a chance of rain overnight, but sun is forecast for the day tomorrow as well. Should be getting a little colder from tomorrow too.
Niseko Avalanche Report:
Niseko base 6am: +1C, no snowfall, cloudy. Moiwa peak: no data. Annpuri peak 1308m: SSW6.6m/s, +2.8C. Coastal data: cape Benkei is calm, cape Kamui SSW18m/s, 1.0m waves, 1012hPa. Annpuri 1000m snowpack 360cm. Hirafu 1000m: +3C, no new snow.
Niseko is under a high-pressure system with a strong southern wind blowing in surrounding areas. A thick fog is present above 600m altitude, but forecasted to clear during the day. Warm air inflow will accelerate the melt. A spring slide from ground level occurred in Hirafu upper Super course yesterday. The course was closed and nobody got involved. The hazards are high again today, be prudent. The snowpack is still thick in 800m leeward slopes of Osawa, Backbowl and Mikaeri-sawa. Whether cracked or not, possibilities of massive spring slides are present throughout the rest of the season. If you’re caught in one, the consequences will be big. Stay away from valley bottoms. Peak gates will open from the morning. Most accidents can be avoided by having everyone being prudent. There’s always a reason for accidents. Have a nice day.
Lots of fog around yesterday especially higher up though happily it wasn't raining in the afternoon when I was up there.
This morning we are back to sunny blue skies and the sun will be warming it all up for us.... expect a high of possibly around 15 degrees today, and higher still tomorrow.
Taking a look at that forecast again and for Sunday we have rain forecast to be falling. It should be colder though and there may even be a chance of snow on the top area of the mountain. Fingers crossed!
Lifts Weekday operations - all lifts operating except: Yunomine pair Mizunashi triple Challenge pair Utopia pair Hikage Number 2 pair B
Courses All courses open except: Grand Prix Kandahar West Kandahar East Read more ...
Friday 28th March 2014, 8:10am
Sort of overcast-y clear!
Yesterday can't have been a particularly good day out there. First of all there was the rain and to add to that the poor visibility as that fog stuck around for what seemed like most of the day. Even down in town you couldn't see far, so I suspect it was worse higher up.
I can see the mountains this morning and the sun is out. Kind of hazy rather than deep blue skies, but bright and sunny. Very warm conditions expected today and tomorrow with lots more sun; rain is forecast for Sunday.
Might we be treated to some fresh snow up at higher elevations on Sunday? Some forecasts say we might just. I'll update you on that with the latest tomorrow.
Here's the latest on when Yuzawa skijo intend to be open until: