Snow and weather reports posted on Sunday 7th May 2017
Sunday 28th February 2016, 7:15am
The skies are partially cloudy and the morning sun is already out and hitting the village. It is looking like a great morning and the sun looks like it may stay for most of the day. It is snowing very lightly and there is 3cm of new snow since the last report, but most of this fell in the few hours after yesterdays report was posted. Overnight there has only been a very light dusting. There is no wind. The slopes have been well groomed and on course conditions will be firm powder.
Tomorrow we are in for some very strong winds in the morning which will then start to reduce and be calm again by Thursday. Temperatures will be substantially warmer on Monday than they have been recently. Read more ...
Appi Kogen Now!
Sunday 28th February 2016, 7:33am
Hello from a winter wonderland here at Appi Kogen!
What a difference a day makes.
Overnight we saw the second biggest snowfall in one day this year. It’s deep, its dry and it’s perfect for a day out. While the road clearing goes on and I type this report while trying to get my ski gear on its a little cloudy with blue skies trying to break through, hardly any wind right now and a balmy -7. Today should be a perfect day but make sure you get out early to get in some first tracks as I’m sure the masses will be descending on the mountain today like bees to a honey pot.
Yesterday was a brilliant sunny day with the runs in good shape but there certainly was a lot of people on the hill making what should have been a pleasant day average. Maybe I should stick to Monday/Tuesday skiing only.
After today the weather will take a turn for the worse becoming increasingly windy to the point of gale force by Tuesday with temperatures near the 2 degree mark. I’m sure we’ll get a little more snow but it will be blown away by Wednesday morning.
Get ready and come and join us it’s going to be a wonderful day here.
Currently planned operating lifts:
- Appi Gondola - Central Number 1 quad - Number 2 lift A - Number 3 lift B - Number 3 lift C - Number 4 lift - Sailer Gondola - Sailer Quad - Vista quad
After a chilly start to the day yesterday, it warmed up and ended up being a very spring-like hazy sunshine kind of day. Snow conditions on lower areas, were pretty much 'spring like' as well from what I heard once we got into the afternoon... I have not heard from anyone who was up at the much higher Kagura. Hopefully conditions are keeping better up there.
I think there might have been some light rain last night as well, though I think I'd rather just try to block that idea out of my head for now.
This morning up above it is a mix of cloud and blue sky and some sunshine, and indeed the latest local forecast is for sun through the day today - and once again temperatures rising to around maybe 8 degrees here in town this afternoon.
As has so often been the case this season - it's just not keeping cold enough. With snow bases that are lower than normal, once some sustained warmth arrives it's a real worry just how much longer lower resort areas will be able to remain open this year. It's important to note that it is not a problem just at the moment, but it could well be in a couple of weeks... most resorts around town plan to open until the end of March or the beginning of April, with higher resorts continuing on through April; and Kagura running through until the end of May. I wonder how it will all pan out this season. Just to once again contrast with last season, some resorts last year were actually extending their season beyond their planned closing dates because there was enough snow to be able to do that...
Back to the current weather and the 'I want to believe' theme! Decent snowfall is still teased on some forecasts for tomorrow - perhaps starting off as rain before it changes into snow at base. Can we get a good new layer from it?
Clear skies and mild to warmer conditions are once again on the forecast from Wednesday through into the weekend and so it's really important we get as much as possible. Come on!
Resort official snow depths (Sunday 28th February 2016) and any specific news at time of writing:
Details of the 'nighta' operations at ski and snowboards resorts around Yuzawa and Minamiuonuma. Subject to change due to snow conditions.
Ishiuchi Maruyama Open daily until 8:50pm (until 20th March). The Chuo No 1 and Chuo No 2 lifts are open daily. The Kanko No 1, Kanko No 2, Kanko No 3, Hatsukaishi Entrance lift, Hatsukaishi No 2 pair lifts are open on weekends and holidays. The basic charge is 2000 yen but various tickets are available.
Iwappara Open daily until 9pm on Saturdays and until 8pm on weekdays and Sundays (until 21st March). The charge is 1500 yen for adults and 1000 yen for children and seniors.
Joetsu Kokusai Open daily until 9pm (until 21st March). The charge is 1500 yen for adults and 1000 yen for children and seniors. On weekdays the area in front of the main hotel is open - a larger area (including Osawa and Atema) is open on weekends.
Kandatsu Kogen Open from 6pm until 4am on Fridays, Saturdays and evenings before holidays through 26th March. Open from 4:30pm until 11pm on weekdays until 24th March. Various tickets are available starting at 2000 yen for adults, 1700 yen for seniors and 1000 yen for children.
Maiko Snow Resort Open daily with the Maiko Center quad lift operating from 4pm until 8pm. The charge is 500 yen for everyone.
Naeba Open daily until 27th March. From 4pm until 8:30pm on weekdays and Sundays (2000 yen); until 9pm every Saturday and on 20th March (3000 yen). 'All Night' opening is planned for Saturday 26th March when Naeba will be open from 10pm until 5am.
NASPA Ski Garden Extended opening until 6pm (Number 1 lift) on Saturdays until 27th February. There is no special ticket available just for the extended time.
Yuzawa Nakazato Open on Saturdays from 5pm until 8:30pm (until 12th March). Tickets are 1500 yen for adults and 1000 yen for children and seniors.
Cold and clear is the state of things this morning. No snow fell in the past 24 hours, however the near cloudless sky makes up for that. Without the insulation from the cloud, the temperature has fallen to -14°C at the base and -15°C at the peak so wrap up warm. The peak wind is 25km/h which fortunately stops the windchill being much colder.
The cool temperatures will ensure the snowfall from previous days is still light and fluffy, there will be powder turns to be had if you go looking. But it is hard to turn down high speed groomer laps in the sunshine today. Get up early as the cloud and snow is expected to return later in the day.
We have a southerly storm forecast to arrive overnight bringing strong winds, warmer weather and some snowfall. The weather could get quite wild at Kiroro in the coming days. Read more ...
Sunday 28th February 2016, 8:28am
After a fine day playing in fresh snow yesterday we have 'bluebird' this morning.
Can't say that I was expecting it, but what a beautiful morning it is with clear blue skies and sunshine from early on. Good and cold too.
It's one of those mornings when I really wish there was someone able to take over my reporting on short notice so I could be one of those lined up for the first lifts of the day. Oh well, I'm happy for the folk who can get to enjoy the first tracks today.
It would have been better still if there was another new layer of fresh snow but unfortunately there's no fresh to report this morning. Still, I expect a lot of happy people to be getting on up there and heading out of the gates this morning. Groomer fans early morning should in for a treat as well. Whichever is your bag, have fun and do stay safe.
The winds have gone and it's a calm morning so everywhere should be open as planned from the start of the day.
We should be getting snowed on once again by the end of the day today and so clicking back into 'regular snowfall' mode in the coming week. Let's see how much we can get in the last day of the month to bring that February 2016 total as high as possible.
Resort specific lift opening news at time of posting (subject to change during the day):
Niseko base 6am: -11℃, no snowfall, bluebird. Moiwa 838m: -12.1℃, SW4.5m/s, no snowfall, clear weather. Benkei cape: NNE3m/s, Kamui cape: NNE3m/s, 1027hPa, wave height unknown. Annupuri 1150m: mild wind, -13℃, no snowfall, good visibility. Snowpack at 1000m elevation: 275cm. Hirafu peak ridge: light wind, -13℃, no snowfall, good visibility.
The isobars are widespread, light wind and sunny sky. Calm condition at the ocean and mountains. The avalanche risk below 1000m elevation is low, however stabilization of snowdrifts in higher elevation is delayed due to low temperature. Avalanches from Feb 24th is still to be considered in Backbowl 1200m area and valleys at Mt Yotei 1400m area. Refrain from stimulating cornices and/or repeatedly traversing across avalanche terrain. One slide would clean up everything and everybody on its path. Cracks are also forming just below cornices and knolls and are hard to notice from above. The snow is deep and good, beware of overspeeding and hitting trees. Carry the right equipment, and talk to the patrols before stepping out of the gates. Carrying an avalanche beacon may not be mandatory but is strongly recommended. It could save your, as well as others, lives in case of an avalanche. The out of bounds will be crowded today. Know where you go or you will end up straying in the woods. We strongly hope for a safe and enjoyable day.
Official resort snow depths as of Sunday 28th February 2016:
Didn't notice anything falling yesterday though I was indoors dealing with a few technical problems for most of the day unfortunately. Anyway this morning there's no snow and the sun is out from early on. Actually hold on, Madarao seems to be reporting 2cm of fresh (though there's none on my car as I write this report).
Once again it's mostly clear and sunny - there's been no shortage of those this season!
Fairly mild overnight and I expect today to be warming up again today.
Should be a fun morning out there, if feeling spring-like.
Everyone is looking at that forecast that says heavy snow tomorrow. Will it bring us a decent amount of snowfall? We'll find out tomorrow! Go on give us a special dump on this once-in-four-years special day!
Come Wednesday the forecast is more for sun, clearer skies and milder conditions again.
Madarao Kogen lifts operating (planned at time of writing):
All lifts plan to be open today
Tangram Ski Circus lifts operating (planned at time of writing):
All lifts plan to be open today
Tree Run Courses open at Madarao Kogen:
Powder Wave II Powder Theater Ninja Crystal Bowl Kamoshika Sawa Read more ...
Sunday 28th February 2016, 8:42am
Some clouds in an otherwise perfectly blue sky.
Good morning from Naeba everybody.
Well I'm almost sick of saying this for this season but today has delivered yet another beautifully sunny morning in which to go riding. With only a partly cloudy sky today is not all to far off from being an official Naeba Now Bluebird.
Looking forwards there is meant to be some rain tomorrow morning with a massive dump of snow predicted for the afternoon though. Let's hope the rain doesn't show and the snow does.
Morning from Hakuba where we have had some snowfall on the mountains, just a bit down here at base. After the fine start to the day yesterday, snow started falling around mid afternoon.
I am hearing unofficial reports of up to 20cm of fresh snow higher up this morning, though the official numbers from resorts are keeping in the up to 10cm kind of range. Info as it is available in the respective resort areas below.
The sun is out as I sit here writing this report and again there's a rather hazy kind of feel at the moment. It feels rather mild as well, certainly more than yesterday morning, and local forecasts say that temps might rise to about +7 later on in the day.
By tomorrow morning there should be more snow on the ground and we're hoping for the chance of a decent amount through Monday. Some forecasts still show good potential. Fingers crossed.
Once we get to mid-week though it does seem that we'll be back to clearer skies once again and milder/warmer conditions.
The Hakuba Goryu Telecabin gondola is still closed this morning. It sounds like there was some kind of fire in the gondola station that they need to fix up. If you wish to ride the top lifts at Hakuba Goryu, you'll need to get there via Hakuba 47 which is of course on the same ticket. There's also a shuttle bus going between Escal Plaza at Hakuba Goryu and the base of Hakuba 47 if you need to get from one to the other.
In other news, half pipe fans might be interested to know that the half-pipe-making folk at Hakuba 47 have been putting in a lot of effort and the result is that their pipe is able to open from this morning.
Resort news as of 8:45am on Sunday 28th February 2016 (where available, all subject to change due to weather conditions)
Hakuba 47: Hakuba 47 is reporting 5-10cm of fresh snowfall this morning. All courses are open and all of the Tree Riding Zone is open. Half pipe open from today in the Hakuba 47 Terrain Park. There is no 'nighta' at Hakuba 47. Official snow depth: Upper: 230cm Base: 125cm
Hakuba Goryu: Hakuba Goryu is reporting 0cm of fresh snowfall at Iimori, 3cm at Toomi and 10-15cm on upper areas this morning. The Hakuba Goryu Gondola is closed as they deal with an incident in the station. Access to the top of the mountain is now via Hakuba 47 only. All courses are generally open except Champion Dynamic, Champion Expert, Woody, Snow Diving and Adventure. The Toomi area will be open until 8:30pm tonight for 'nighta'. Official snow depth Alps: 220cm Toomi: 110cm Iimori: 100cm
Hakuba Happo-one: All courses/areas open. Happo Banks and Kuroboshi Off Piste Area open. The lower Nakiyama area is open for 'nighta' every day until 9pm. Official snow depth: Usagidaira: 205cm Nakiyama: 60cm Sakka: 55cm
Hakuba Cortina: Hakuba Cortina is reporting 7-12cm of fresh snowfall this morning. All courses open except Itadaira Ridge. The Ikenota area will be open for 'nighta' until 8pm tonight (8pm on Saturdays). Official snow depth: Top: 188cm Base: 115cm
Tsugaike Kogen: All course areas are open. Nighta at Karamatsu/Shirakaba on 5th/12th/19th March. Note that the top Tsugaike Ropeway only opens from spring. Official snow depth: Tsuga-no-mori: 256cm Maruyama: 80cm Kane-no-naru-oka: 60cm
Hakuba Iwatake Snow Field: Hakuba Iwatake is reporting 0-10cm of fresh snowfall this morning. Parts of the Mountain Side not open (Sonezawa, Dangan, Kamo 4, Five Side, View A, View B). An event is currently being held on Kamoshika Pocket, Big Bahn and Up Bahn areas of the Village Side. There is no 'nighta' at Hakuba Iwatake. Official snow depth: Upper: 130cm Lower: 50cm
Hakuba Norikura Onsen: All courses apart from Snake are open. There is no 'nighta' at Hakuba Iwatake. Official snow depth: 110cm
The sun is out again folks and a milder morning than yesterday, probably destined to warm up to around 5 or 6 degrees here at base.
Tomorrow will see a mild start but temperatures to drop during the day. While we might get some rain at base at first, it should be snowing top to bottom for most of the day and hopefully into Tuesday as well. Forecasts are looking pretty good still so I'm cautiously optimistic for a good amount of fresh snow to be delivered.
Wednesday and Thursday right now are looking like we'll be getting more sunshine.
There will be a few course closures (to the general public) in the coming days due to some ski races being held, as below:
Wednesday 2nd March until Friday 4th March: the Yamabiko A course will be closed. Saturday 5th March until Tuesday 8th March: the Mizunashi A course will be closed.
Official info at time of writing on Sunday 28th February 2016 (subject to change):
This morning at Grandeco the skies are overcast, but it is warming up and looks like the sun will be out in the afternoon.
There's another 3cm of new snow fall to report since last night.
All lifts and trails are open today, as well as the Nishidaiten backcountry area.
There is a SNOW FALGS even at Grandeco today starting at 1:30pm. Adults and kids welcome and sign-up starts at 1:00pm at next to the Number 1 lift line at the base of the mountain. Prizes will be awarded to the winners.
Things should be getting colder again come tomorrow and there's potential for a decent amount of snow to fall as we go into Tuesday with regular snowfall forecast until near the end of the week.
I am so pleased to say that it is in fact NOT raining today (which was the forecast for many days), although it is getting pretty warm out there in the sun.
The freezing line is way up there today - almost to the top of Mt. Myoko - but it's going to be coming down overnight, with the real possibility of some heavy snow tomorrow (yea!).
It sounds like we'll need to enjoy it while we can; the local radio gave an official announcement (from some official organization) that the snow is likely to be gone in much of Niigata by mid-March. It's already pretty thin in a lot of places, although I have to say the ski areas are doing a really good job of keeping the snow in good condition. Lots of fun yesterday at an event in Kurohime, just across the boarder in Nagano, even though a probe of the snow showed almost no cover...
And speaking of which, I forgot to press the send button yesterday before heading out to said event.... Sorry, guys! This has been a pretty good year for your writer in getting reports out every day, as grim as the news occasionally has been. If that previously-mentioned report is true I may not have that many more to write for you... But I hope that's not the case!
The temperatures below are from early morning; it's not cold now!