Snow and weather reports posted on Monday 20th November 2017
Friday 28th February 2014, 7:53am
Morning from Niseko and we do actually have some new snow to report. It's a bit wet, but it's snow all the same - we'll take it!
It's not snowing now and actually the sun is making an appearance. The forecast does seem to telling us to expect sun today. Hopefully it will be getting colder over the next few days as well and from Monday snow clouds should be back over the region.
I have to write my report early this morning and so I don't have complete news yet from the resorts regarding lifts but there may well be some stopped this morning due to the wind. The only thing I have as of 8am is that Annupuri say they'll open if and when the wind calms down, so seems at least some delays there. Please check with the resorts for the updates on that situation.
Update: Niseko Grand Hirafu are saying that the top King 3, King 4 and Ace 4 lifts will not be opening on time due to the wind up there.
Niseko Avalanche Report
Niseko base 6am: 0C, 3cm of wet wind-affected snow. Moiwa 800m: n/a. Annupuri 1150m: W15m/s, -6C, development of snowdrifts. Hirafu 1000m: -6C, light snowfall. Peak 1308m: NW21.6m/s, -8C. Coastal data: Benkei cape NNW14m/s, Kamui cape NW12m/s, 1.0m waves, 1012hPa.
Warm air inflow with wet snowfall due to passing low-pressure system. Westerly wind is picking up above 600m as the cold-front passed early morning. Re-crystallized snow due to temperature drop is unstable and easily sliding in steep faces. Tracks have frozen under treeline and the skiing condition is bad. Peak gates opening is yet to be determined, please respect the ski patrol’s decisions. The weather is forecasted to temporarily improve, however another storm will start picking up as soon as snow-clouds start to form on the Sea of Japan. Keep in mind that many of the accidents occur during poor weather conditions. Have a safe day. Spring season is approaching.
Official snow depth numbers and lift news at time of writing:
After that odd report yesterday, it's just not a very exciting one today and not the best way to end February... it's raining, even up at GALA Yuzawa and Kagura by all accounts. We are hoping that it will ease off this morning and leave us with just a cloudy day. The good thing is that it won't be quite as warm as it was the last few days, but there's still be a high of about +5 today in town. We might see some rain tomorrow as well, though hopefully it might be cold enough at higher elevations for it to be snowing.
OK so I want to talk about snow! Nothing major on the weekly forecast and no major freeze either, though it seems there is a chance of snow showers now and again. All very borderline and weak though.
Sorry I can't bring more exciting news. If you are coming to the area this weekend, expect spring snow conditions and they are important to you head as high as possible.
There's lots of fog up there on the mountain this morning. Can't see a thing on the Yamabiko and Uenotaira cams. Lower down we can see more and while there's a few breaks in the clouds it's mostly thick cloud cover. We are avoiding rain at the moment but we might not escape it later on though it might well be falling as snow on the upper slopes.
It's approaching 8:30am now and around +5 degrees in the village - it should actually be getting colder as the day goes on.
There's some encouraging signs for the chance of snow on the mountain over the weekend, so fingers crossed that happens. It might not be a mega-load but a slight refresh would be welcome. As you might expect, the upper slopes are and will be offering the better conditions.
Oh one more thing. Festival time tomorrow (Saturday)! Head over to the Hikage base area for 7:30pm when things start. There'll be various events going on, sake and no doubt some oishii nibbles on offer too, topped off with a firework display scheduled for 8:30pm.
Rain yesterday down here in the village I'm afraid, but snow (borderline sleet at times) was falling at higher evelations at times during the day. Hakuba 47 reported 1cm or so of snow mid afternoon.
Light rain this morning too, but I am happy to report that has stopped now and it's just cloudy at the moment. Looks like upper slopes of the resorts are shrouded in cloud and fog with poor visibility out there.
Tomorrow is the first day of March of course. Snow would be a good start to the new month and it does seem to be a chance of snowfall during the day tomorrow. It's still going to be quite mild though, so it's all borderline. We're just going to have to wait and see what Nature decides to deal us.
Official snow depth numbers and operations (as of 28th February 2014):
Hakuba Goryu: Reporting 0cm of new snowfall. Upper - 270cm Toomi - 170cm Iimori - 150cm
Hakuba 47: Reporting 0cm of new snowfall. Upper - 235cm Lower - 75cm
Happo-one: Reporting 0cm of new snowfall. Usagidaira - 235cm Nakiyama - 80cm Sakka - 80cm
Another very fine day yesterday and as we are at the last day of Febraury, those Ice Monsters are doing pretty good. They had a lull at the beginning of February but have really made a comeback during the month. Won't be long now before they retire for the season I would imagine - when it happens it usually happens very quickly!
This morning it is +4 degrees in the village and just above zero at the top. No wind, cloudy.
As we enter next week we are looking forward to the prospect of colder conditions again. Bit of snow here and there maybe, but nothing major on the forecast. 、 ---
Official snow depths (27th February 14): Utopia: 310cm Chuo: 260cm Paradise: 300cm Uwanodai: 185cm Read more ...
Friday 28th February 2014, 10:10am
It's another mild morning as we prepare to say bye to February and look forward to hopefully a good spring season. With the weather over the last few days and temperatures conditions are spring at the moment. I haven't felt rain falling on me but we have had some rain. Some forecasts are saying a chance of snow tomorrow, so that would be nice. Don't expect anything major though. Sunday onwards temps should creep back down to minus numbers.
Operating lifts (planned):
Number 1 Number 2 Number 3A Number 2 quad Number 5 Super quad Number 11 Number 12 Number 13 Number 15 Moving walkway Kids Park
It is not a nice day in Myoko; there is no way to wrap this fish up any nicer: it stinks. Light rain and heavy fog, following a night of strong winds and warmer temperatures that sees Akakan reporting a loss of 50cm in the snowpack. Wouldn't doubt it, either, as things really cleared up around the house as well without any shoveling effort required.
It will be getting a little colder in the days ahead, with light snow predicted. Good for the slopes; in the backcountry it may be pretty bad with a light dusting on top of frozen slush. Better toward the middle of next week.
I've been waiting for the town's official reports to come out, but only the independent one from Akakan has come through, so at least we know the temperature, and the fact that the snowpack is down. All other figures below are yesterday's, so figure accordingly.