Snow and weather reports posted on Friday 25th May 2018
Sunday 22nd April 2018, 7:08am
Clear and sunny
Good morning from Yuzawa.
It certainly was warm yesterday. In Koide, to the north of Yuzawa, it reached 29C!
I woke up around 2am feeling the need to open the window - first time this year.
Today won't be quite as hot, perhaps, but it won't be far off. The sun is out and it is going to be a fine and very warm day.
Cloud and slightly cooler conditions are currently forecast for tomorrow.
Today is the last day of the ski season for the GALA Yuzawa resort.
Tomorrow, just the Kagura resort will remain open every day.
Updated: Sunday 22nd April 2018, 7:45am
Planned resort operations - subject to change
GALA Yuzawa - Today is the last day of the season for GALA Yuzawa - Official snow depth: 50cm - Central Area: The Gondola, Coach and Barouche lifts operating; all courses apart from Melody open - North Area: The Victoria lift is operating; Part of Broadway and Swan courses remain open - The South Area and Falcon course back to base are now closed for the season - Take the Gondola back down to base
Kagura - Tashiro Ropeway plans to be at least part open until Sunday 6th May - Mitsumata Ropeway and the main Kagura area plan to be at least part open until Sunday 27th May - Official snow depth: Kagura area - 230cm; Mitsumata area - 130cm; Tashiro area - 180cm - The Gezan downhill course to Mitsumata base is closed - take the Ropeway back to base - The Gondola East Course at Tashiro is also closed - All other courses remain open
Naeba - Naeba is open for today... - ...and then plans to open from 28th April until 6th May - The Prince Number 2 Gondola, Takenokodaira and Daishamen pair lifts are operating - Top Takenokodaira and Daishamen courses open - Take the Gondola back down to base Read more ...
Nozawa Onsen Now!
Sunday 22nd April 2018, 7:20am
Good morning from Nozawa.
Yesterday really did get very warm. It was over 25C and closing in on 30 degrees in some places that aren't too far from Nozawa. Like early summer.
It is going to be another warm day today, though not quite as much as it was yesterday. Cooler still tomorrow with just cloud on the forecast at the moment.
The resort remains open as per yesterday; details below.
- Nagasaka Gondola - Yamabiko Four - Yamabiko Number 2 Four - Skyline connecting pair - Uenotaira Four quad - Paradise Four quad - Yunomine pair
Planned open courses today:
- Yamabiko A, C, D, E - Uenotaira - Paradise - Kokenashi - Get the Gondola back down to base
General resort operations information until Sunday 6th May:
The Gondola will be open from 8:10am daily; The Number 1 car park will be free daily; There will be no village shuttle bus between until 27th April; Nozawa Onsen plans to remain open until Sunday 6th May. Read more ...
Sunday 22nd April 2018, 7:31am
Good morning from Niseko.
An early report today as I need to get myself over to Sapporo.
There's more cloud around this morning but we are forecast fine weather again. Temperatures to rise into double digits again. Hopefully the lifts will be moving as scheduled.
Watching the national news last night, it seems like lots of Japan enjoyed (?) a summer day yesterday with some very hot conditions going on. Bit of a blip by the looks.
I think the official website saying there'll be a max temp of +49C on the upper slopes of Niseko Grand Hirafu (as at 7:30am)... is a mistake.
Could be wrong. ;)
15 days left of ski lift operations, including today.
Saturday 21st April 2018
Resort specific information (operations subject to change):
- Ace Number 2 Center Four (* operating daily until 6th May) - King Number 3 (* operating daily until 6th May) - King Number 4 (* operating daily until 6th May) - Hirafu Gondola (* operating only on 21st, 22nd April & 28th April - 6th May)
- Most of Hirafu remains open - Lower part of Super closed - All of the Hanazono area is closed
- Gondola - Alpen quad - Usagidaira pair (* open only on weekends/holidays) - Panorama pair - Grat quad - Kurobishi Number 3 pair - Kurobishi Number 2 quad - Skyline Number 2 pair - Kokusai Number 3 pair (* open only on weekends/holidays)
- Gondola - Alps Number 1 pair - Alps Number 3 pair - Alps Number 2/4 pair (* open today; after that, currently unclear)
- The top area (except Champion Expert) remains open - You can still ride back down to Gondola base on the Toomi course - getting VERY narrow! - The Toomi lift is now closed - The Iimori lifts and area are now closed
- Gondola - Pair Line A-B - Quad Line C - Pair Line E
- Most course areas remain open - Lower part of R-7 closed, only part of upper area R-7 open - The resort recommends that beginners take the Gondola back down to base - The Tree Riding Zones are now closed for the season
- Gondola - Han-no-ki high speed pair - Tsugaike Ropeway
- Only the top Tsuga-no-mori and Han-kou courses remain open - You can no longer ride back down to base areas - all base areas now closed - Take the Gondola back down to base - The Tsugaike Ropeway plans to be open daily until 6th May - The Ropeway is open only for hiking and climbing; a special form must be submitted
The season is really coming to an end, as Akakura Kanko ends its year today.
The cherry blossoms are almost over; we’re a couple of weeks ahead of schedule, and there is just no more snow around the base here. Your writer almost didn’t get this out; I was in Tohaku yesterday, where the temperature was a dry 29°C. Gotta say the thoughts of fun on snow evaporated a bit.
Seki Onsen and Lotte Arai are hanging on; let’s see of they can make it to Golden Week!
Lotte Arai Resort: 251cm, 22.6°; Zendana, Kokenashi and Arai Gondola lifts running; Bear Valley, Be Free, Encore, Myoko Long Upper Run and Rind Upper courses open; Ohkenashi Bowl, FK, North Bowl, Funaishi-zawa, Happy Place and Benzaku-zawa open in the avalanche-controlled areas open; closing May 6