Snow and weather reports posted on Friday 25th May 2018
Thursday 1st March 2018, 7:18am
There are strong winds in the village this morning and they are forecast to get even stronger during the day. The Gondola was closed yesterday for maintenance and with these winds it is probable it won't operate today anyway. There has been no overnight snow and during the day we may see rain at village level as the daytime high will rise to +1c. At higher elevations snow is expected. Not one of the best days. Read more ...
Thursday 1st March 2018, 7:50am
Good morning from Yuzawa on this first day of March.
And unfortunately it has been a rather dodgy start to the month!
I was woken up by very strong and wild sounding winds a few times overnight along with the sound of heavy rain on the roof as well. It was noticeably warmer too. Temperatures today will be getting into double digits and perhaps as high as around 13C in town. (It's already 8C).
Just at the moment as I am writing this report, it suddenly seems a little calmer and the rain has eased off. But strong winds are forecast during the day and we probably haven't seen the last of this rain either. We can hope for the best - some local forecasts even show some clearer skies due later on in the day.
It looks like the Yuzawa Kogen resort is not opening this morning due to the weather conditions and only the Mitsumata area of the Kagura resort will be opening this morning. The Gondola at Maiko Snow Resort is also looking like it will be delayed opening (probably by about half an hour). If the winds do whip up more, we might expect some other lift disruption.
I suspect that lots of people will be giving today a miss and maybe taking a soak in an onsen. Snow conditions are inevitably going to be affected by what we were served overnight. But looking on the positive side, the slopes should be uncrowded!
Tomorrow should be colder with the chance of snow falling.
Images today from GALA Yuzawa, NASPA Ski Garden and Yuzawa IC (Route 17).
Updated: Thursday 1st March February 2018
Ski resorts in Yuzawa:
Checked and updated every morning. Note that some ski resorts may not have updated their own info at the time this report is published.
Unfortunately it's a wet start to the month with rain falling but we can hope for it to stop this morning. The resort seems to be reporting just cloud up top, as well as 1cm of snow on the top Yamabiko area.
It's warm too and it might get to be about 10C sometime later on down in the village, though some local forecasts are now actually showing the chance of some sun breaking through the clouds.
Look out for winds as well today though at the start of the day all seems to be opening as planned.
And back to colder and snow tomorrow before warmer conditions over the weekend.
All up and down at the moment.
Thursday 1st March 2018
Fresh snowfall since yesterday (as reported by the resort):
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report rain on this first day of March, but it is raining this morning.
Usually the snow is still in a good condition in March but a spring storm low pressure is passing now. Not only rain, but also strong winds are blowing around meaning that only Number 1 and 2 lifts will be open today - the Gondola or other lifts won’t be operating.
If the wind keep blowing strong, those open lifts my need to close before 4 pm - pay attention to the ski hills announcements.
According to the forecast, the strong winds will remain until tomorrow.
We're starting the month with a report where I come up with a big round 0cm along with rather mild conditions.
Oh yes, and strong winds.
It is actually snowing though now...
And things are due to change this afternoon with blizzard conditions are expected.
Already the gondolas and top lifts are on hold due to the weather conditions and if anything we can expect more disruption as that big bad weather approaches.
Strap yourself in. Or perhaps enjoy an onsen and massage.
My February and 'season so far' recap will be posted in my report tomorrow.
Niseko Avalanche Report:
Niseko base 5am: -3℃, no snowfall. Moiwa800m: -4.8℃, E6.1m/s, no snowfall. Annupuri 1150m: -7℃, light breeze, no snowfall. Hirafu peak: -8℃, southerly wind picking up and bad visibility. Coastal data: Benkei cape S19m/s, Kamui cape no wind, 1006hPa, 0.7m waves.
The overall avalanche risk is low this morning, however a southerly wind with snow will pick up, the temperature will rise and full depth glide avalanche risk will rise in the Backbowl and Annupuri bowl 1000m elevation. Once the Low-pressure passes, the wind will shift westerly and the temperature will drop. A strong storm is forecasted through tomorrow and will make new snowdrifts grow drastically in leeward slopes. Surface slab avalanches are most likely to occur during and just after storms. The snow condition will be bad for the next few days and the avalanche risk will rise during the weekend. Be flexible with your plans and adjust them according to the weather conditions. Each gate will close as the weather deteriorates.
Better not evaluate the hazards with optimistic/pessimistic thinking. Over/under estimation can be the cause of an accident. Have a nice weekend.
Thursday 1st March 2018
Resort specific information (operations subject to change):
Lifts scheduled to be operating: - All lifts (apart from the Country Road Chair lift) should be operating The Niseko Gondola and top Wonderland Chair lift are on hold at the start of the day
Official snow depth: - Top: 420cm - Base: 280cm
Floodlit 'nighta' skiing:
Night skiing is planned for every evening at the Niseko Grand Hirafu, Niseko Village and Niseko Annupuri areas. There is no nighta at the Niseko HANAZONO area. Ski lifts that are scheduled to be operating for nighta are noted below (subject to change):
* Niseko Grand Hirafu - Ace Family quad, Ace Number 2 quad, Hirafu Gondola, Holiday Number 1 pair * Niseko Annupuri - Jumbo Number 1 quad lift * Niseko Village - Village Express, Upper Village Gondola, Community Chair Read more ...
Thursday 1st March 2018, 8:32am
Morning from Hakuba.
After a warm spring-like day yesterday...some perhaps unexpected good news this morning.
It was colder than we expected and we got some snow. It might not be fresh light powder, but it's sure better than wet rain though with slightly warmer temps due in the day we may get some of that at base. As it gets colder tonight fingers crossed there'll be more snow coming.
Anyway here are some numbers reported by ski resorts:
Hakuba Goryu: 30cm (top gondola station) Hakuba Goryu: up to 15cm Hakuba 47: up to 20cm Hakuba Cortina: 10-15cm
Some nice numbers there. So, as long as the lifts are moving and able to take you up there, head high would be the recommendation for the nicer snow conditions.
Lifts are being affected though early on at many resorts. As of 8am Happo were holding all lifts due to 'thunderclouds approaching' but they now have some lower lifts moving.
We are still looking at colder temps tomorrow, followed by warmth over the weekend.
Things feel a bit all over the place right now. Hopefully a 'phase' and things will settle down once we pass it.
Ski resort information on Thursday 1st March 2018 (at time of writing):
Night time skiing (nighta) at resorts in the region - weather & conditions permitting The below 'nighta' information will not be updated every day - please check with resorts if you plan to go!
Hakuba Happo-one Daily from 5pm until 9pm in the Nakiyama 2 area Adults - 2,000 yen; children - 1,200 yen
Hakuba Goryu Daily from 6pm until 9:30pm in the Toomi area until 31st March The Sky Four quad operates daily; the Number 2 pair mostly on Saturdays and holidays Adults - 1,900 yen; children - 850 yen
Hakuba Cortina Daily from 5pm until 8pm (until 9pm on Saturdays) Adults - 1,500 yen; children - 1,000 yen
Tsugaike Kogen Karamatsu Shirakaba area from 6pm until 9pm on 17th February; 3rd, 10th March Adults - 2,200 yen; children - 1,700 yen
There are no other nighta operations at other ski resorts in the region Read more ...
Geto Kogen Now!
Thursday 1st March 2018, 9:01am
Yesterday saw some pristine bluebird conditions with 15cm’s of fresh blanking the resort.
With some moderate overnight winds the powder started off a little crusty on-top but nice and dry below. Throughout the day as the temps increased the powder started to become a little heavy, but nothing too dramatic.
Overnight we saw 10cm’s of fresh snow covering the resort accompanied by some high winds. As for today, we’re looking at some pretty grim conditions across the resort. We should see maximum temps of 4 degrees with some heavy winds clocking in at 105 km/h on the peaks. Some heavy rain is scheduled for this morning and should stick around till the afternoon. With the mercury predicted to drop into the evening we should see some moderate snowfall around 10cm’s on-top of the mountain and areas of high wind.
As for the rest of the week, well it looks as if the winds are sticking around. Bringing with them some cooler temps come Friday and some more snowfall tonight through to Friday.
Thursday: Cloudy with high winds and tops of 4 degrees, rain/snow showers Friday: Cloudy with high winds and tops of -4 degrees, with snow showers Saturday: mostly clear skies, tops of 4 degrees with light to moderate winds
Official snow depths:
Top: 535cm Base: 365cm
Night skiing operations are scheduled at Geto Kogen on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays until 25th February 2018
The Number 2 Gondola is currently open on weekends and national holidays Read more ...
Thursday 1st March 2018, 9:10am
Cloud and blue sky now!
Morning from Madarao.
Sadly, we started March with rain (sleet in places) falling and windy conditions.
But, happily, I have waited a little to post the report and the rain has eased off and things actually seem to be clearing up quite quickly.
Colder climes are forecast for tomorrow and perhaps a little snowfall overnight. Wouldn't expect anything major though.
And then the upcoming weekend is still looking warm and toasty; followed by things getting colder again early week.
I'm feeling dizzy!
Official snow depth: 220cm
Number 1 lift Number 2 quad lift Number 3A lift Super quad lift Number 11 lift Number 12 lift Number 13 lift Number 15 lift
Powder Wave I Powder Wave II River Line Powder Theater Free Ride Park Adventure Aisle Crystal Bowl Ninja Sawa Rabbit Kamoshika Bear
It is a mix of rain and snow this morning here. Strong winds will start moving in later on this afternoon. At the moment visibility is being hampered by rain, sleet and cloud today. So not the best conditions but hopefully it'll be a more snowy story by this time tomorrow.
Planned lift operations (subject to change):
- APPI Gondola - Central quad - Central number 2 lift - Central number 3 lift A - Central number 5 lift - Central number 6 lift - Sailer quad - Nishimori lift
Note: The Sailer Gondola, Central Number 4 lift and Vista quad are usually rested on normal weekdays
Good morning from Naeba! After a wet and windy night, the skies have cleared nicely already this morning! We had heavy rain throughout the early morning, which has added a significant volume of water to the snowpack. This has unfortunately ensured that any remaining fresh snow that had avoided the power of the sun over the past few days is now certainly slushing. There is a moderate wind whipping clouds from west to east over the ridge line, however due to the higher mountains west of Mt Naeba, the wind isn't being sucked down into the valley, leaving the lower slopes with just a calm breeze. The sun is intermittently making its way through the clouds. The remainder of the day will be much like the morning so far. There is also a possibility of a modest accumulation of snow at the base overnight tonight.
Looking forwards, we have a very mixed forecast ahead! Tomorrow, air temperatures will be much lower than today's balmy highs of 7°C. Snow is predicted throughout the day, with modest accumulations of a few centimeters. Winds will be moderate throughout the night tonight and all day tomorrow. On Saturday, daytime air temperatures are expected to be up around 7°C, with sunshine and very little wind. Following this, on Sunday air temperatures push up even higher into the tens, with highs predicted of 13°C. On Sunday night, a block of moist air is expected to arrive from the north west, initially bringing rain Sunday night and into Monday morning. This will turn to snow as the temperature drops on Monday night to just below freezing. The wind will pick up around Monday as well. All this said, the forecast is currently changing on a daily basis, so we will have to wait and see what happens closer to the time! Read more ...
Thursday 1st March 2018, 12:11pm
March 1st is often recognized as the start of Spring among mountaineers and with it this year has come a lot of rain and seriously warm temps this morning.
Looked like a top to bottom event and pity the diggers shaping the banked slalom course as it can't be easy to work with.
Heavy rain fell for hours overnight and this morning but it's since cleared, the sun is poking through here at noon and the temp has dropped.
Small snow on the horizon this evening, a clear weekend and then hopefully plenty of snow on Monday.
Please note that the snowfall numbers posted in this report will be observed from close to the base Tenjindaira Ropeway station - which is often much more than in the central town area of Minakami. Read more ...
Thursday 1st March 2018, 14:44pm
Apologies for the late report.
Strong winds today and some pretty nasty conditions. Wind, snow (10+cm overnight) and rain in the day. And some lifts and courses not open due to the unfriendly weather.
Been a day of panic here with one thing and another. I'm looking forward to tomorrow.
Lifts and course info:
- All lifts appear to be opening as scheduled - Note: the Karamatsu pair lift usually only operates on weekends - All areas open