Snow and weather reports posted on Monday 28th May 2018
Nozawa Onsen Now!
Tuesday 17th April 2018, 7:37am
Good morning from Nozawa.
It's a cloudy morning here and we may see some light rain by the end of the day and rain overnight tonight. Hopefully after that we'll have more settled sunny weather into the weekend as well as temperatures warming up a little. Today a high of about 12C is forecast for the village.
Just a bit of news about some course closures over the coming weekend due to events being held. On Saturday and Sunday the Yamabiko B course and Yunomine courses will be closed.
Tuesday 17th April 2018
Fresh snowfall since yesterday as reported by the resort:
- Nagasaka Gondola - Yamabiko Four - Yamabiko Number 2 Four - (More may be open for the coming weekend)
Planned open courses today:
- Yamabiko - Kokenashi - Bunabayashi (to mid station) - Get the Gondola back down to base
General resort operations information until Sunday 6th May:
The Gondola will be open from 8:10am daily; The Number 1 car park will be free daily; There will be no village shuttle bus between until 27th April; Nozawa Onsen plans to remain open until Sunday 6th May. Read more ...
Tuesday 17th April 2018, 8:07am
Overcast but quite bright
Good morning from Yuzawa.
It's an overcast kind of morning, but fairly bright. Looks like some light blue sky might be on show in places too, though cloud is generally forecast for the day. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some sunshine though.
Rain is expected tonight.
Someone has asked us to clarify our information regarding the opening status of Kagura, so clarify I will:
The resort itself on their main page is saying 全面滑走可能. Mr Google is telling me 'full glide possible' and 'the entire surface of sliding possible'. Usually on reading that we would take it as meaning 'all courses are open'.
The Kagura, Mitsumata and Tashiro Areas that make up the 'Kagura' resort are indeed all open. And almost all of the courses are still available. But... the downhill course back down to Mitsumata base (called Gezan) and also the Gondola East Course (over at Tashiro) are not open. That information is actually available on the official website on the 'what's open' page - so I can see how the official information may be confusing.
Anyway, with those two courses not being open, I hope that explains our wording. And just to be as absolutely clear as possible, I have added the specific course names below.
Yuzawa Now reports will continue to be posted daily until 6th May
Updated: Tuesday 17th April 2018, 7:50am
Planned resort operations - subject to change
GALA Yuzawa - GALA will be at least part open until Sunday 22nd April - Official snow depth: 100cm - Central Area: The Gondola, Coach and Barouche lifts operating; all courses apart from Melody open - North Area: The Victoria lift is operating; Broadway and part of Swan (part) courses remain open - The South Area and Falcon course back to base are now closed for the season - Take the Gondola back down to base
Kagura - Tashiro Ropeway plans to be at least part open until Sunday 6th May - Mitsumata Ropeway and the main Kagura area plan to be at least part open until Sunday 27th May - Official snow depth: Kagura area - 240cm; Mitsumata area - 140cm; Tashiro area - 190cm - The Gezan downhill course to Mitsumata base is closed - take the Ropeway back to base - The Gondola East Course at Tashiro is also closed - All other courses remain open
Naeba - Naeba is closed today - It currently plans to re-open for weekends... - ...and from 28th April until 6th May Read more ...
Geto Kogen Now!
Tuesday 17th April 2018, 8:11am
Blue skies, just some cloud
Yesterday it was cloudy with a bit of snow even.
This morning we are enjoying some blue skies and just a bit of cloud. There's hardly any wind and it is remaining quite cold too. It's a feel good morning and that is what the forecast is showing for the day.
Come the weekend we will probably get some warmer temperatures. Before then though some more rain expected tomorrow.
Official snow depths:
Top: 310cm Base: 185cm
Number 1 Gondola and Number 1 pair lift are operating
- Ace Number 2 Center Four (* operating daily until 6th May) - King Number 3 (* operating daily until 6th May) - King Number 4 (* operating daily until 6th May) - Hirafu Gondola (* operating only on 21st, 22nd April & 28th April - 6th May)
- Most of Hirafu remains open - Lower part of Super closed - All of the Hanazono area is closed
- Gondola - Alpen quad - Usagidaira pair (* open only on weekends/holidays) - Panorama pair - Grat quad - Kurobishi Number 3 pair - Kurobishi Number 2 quad - Skyline Number 2 pair - Kokusai Number 3 pair (* open only on weekends/holidays)
- Gondola - Alps Number 1 pair - Alps Number 3 pair - Alps Number 2/4 pair (* open only from 28th April until 6th May)
- The top area (except Champion Expert) remains open - You can still ride back down to Gondola base on the Toomi course - getting rather narrow! - The Toomi lift is now closed - The Iimori lifts and area are now closed
- Gondola - Pair Line A-B - Quad Line C - Pair Line E
- Almost all course areas remain open (resort itself reports '90% open') - Restrictions on the lower part of R-7, with a bit of walking required - The resort recommends that beginners take the Gondola back down to base - The Tree Riding Zones are now closed for the season
- Gondola - Han-no-ki high speed pair - Tsugaike Ropeway
- Only the top Tsuga-no-mori and Han-kou courses remain open - You can no longer ride back down to base areas - all base areas now closed - Take the Gondola back down to base - The Tsugaike Ropeway plans to be open daily until 6th May - The Ropeway is open only for hiking and climbing; a special form must be submitted