Snow and weather reports posted on Tuesday 22nd May 2018
Geto Kogen Now!
Thursday 15th February 2018, 7:02am
After a cracker of a day yesterday with some fantastic powder (though the vis struggled at times), we saw the light snow turn to heavy into the evening. And then the winds came.
Though we’ve seen 25cm of fresh snow into this morning, there were 85km/h+ winds at the top overnight, and not much less at the bottom so I’m expecting it will be a little messy out there in places.
Expecting tops of -5C today with a bit of light snow (<5cm all up) and with some moderate winds, we’ll see that wind chill dip down to -17C.
Trees may still be closed today, again check the conditions & map in the dome. If they are open, remember that the snow is deep, with just shy under a metre of snow hitting them since they’ve been open last. So keep that in mind before you try anything crazy — is it worth the 10 minute dig and hike?
The snow seems to have settled for now, coming into the weekend we should see some light snow here and there. Saturday looks most promising with about 10cm into Sunday, but it looks like we’re going to have to wait until at least mid week (this coming week) for our next snowfall...
Friday: snow showers, moderate winds, tops of -4C Saturday: light snow, moderate/strong winds, tops of -5C Sunday: light snow, moderate winds, tops of -8C
Official snow depths:
Top: 520cm Base: 380cm
Night skiing operations are scheduled at Geto Kogen on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays until 25th February 2018
The Number 2 Gondola is currently open on weekends and national holidays Read more ...
Thursday 15th February 2018, 7:28am
One of the days of the year up at Tenjin yesterday, loads of fresh snow, well settled and blue bird conditions. It did warm up and the sun put a crust on some Southerly aspects by the late afternoon but the North faces were in great shape.
Last night, we had some extreme winds rip down valley and precipitation in the form of moderate snow has moved in to take its place. Currently running about 8cm on my car park at 7am and looks like it's just begun.
The forecast is for snow all day on mountain, clear weather tomorrow and Saturday looks set to bring back the sort of overly aggressive storms we usually get up here - big snow.
Please note that the snowfall numbers posted in this report will be observed from close to the base Tenjindaira Ropeway station - which is often much more than in the central town area of Minakami. Read more ...
Thursday 15th February 2018, 7:46am
Hello and good morning from Zao.
The mid-winter conditions are continuing here at the moment and another very respectable amount of snow. Really nice quality snow too.
We're not actually expecting much snow today or tomorrow with more lined up there on the forecast for Saturday along with a further dip in temperatures. Might get windy too. If the forecast is correct we can perhaps expect some blizzard like conditions whipping up.
Those official snow depth numbers below have been zooming up over the last few days!
Lifts and course info:
- All lifts appear to be opening as scheduled - Note: the Karamatsu pair lift usually only operates on weekends - All areas open
What a beautiful morning yesterday! Clear blue skies and sunshine.
It was fairly mild, rising to around 6C and softening up the snow, and gradually getting cloudy later in the day.
I was woken up just before 2am this morning by some very strong winds - and also unfortunately the sound of rain. Thankfully, it is snowing now as of 7:30am. If I had slept through I may not have known about the rain, though now that I know I can notice that there's less snow on top of my shed this morning.
Kagura are reporting 5cm of fresh snowfall and Maiko Snow Resort are reporting 'a bit' (without a number). Just a think layer around town.
Anyway though it wasn't particularly cold overnight, without the sunshine it should be generally be colder than yesterday during the day today and not rising too much above zero.
The roads are generally looking wet and the snow looks more wet than light, dry and fluffy; but it's certainly better than rain and hopefully we might get some more during the day.
We can probably expect some sunshine during the day tomorrow; forecasts say in particular later on in the day.
And then back to snow over the weekend and colder conditions too so hopefully we can get some nice quality snowfall.
Images today from GALA Yuzawa, NASPA Ski Garden and Yuzawa IC (Route 17).
Updated: Thursday 15th February 2018
Ski resorts in Yuzawa:
Checked and updated every morning. Note that some ski resorts may not have updated their own info at the time this report is published.
A fine day yesterday with sun and blue skies in the morning and cloud gather as the afternoon went on. Temperatures rose to around +4 degrees C.
Was that rain I heard in the middle of the night along with some noisy wind? Not sure. But this morning it is snowing lightly. The resort is reporting up to 5cm of fresh snow up top and 1-3cm on lower base areas so a bit of a dusting.
It should be colder than it was yesterday with the forecasts telling us to expect temperatures around zero in the day.
Forecast = sunshine tomorrow + snow over the weekend.
Thursday 15th February 2018
Fresh snowfall since yesterday (as reported by the resort):
We got a lot of snow during the day yesterday and some more overnight. Just a short while ago I measured 26cm of fresh snowfall to add to the reports from down here at base.
It's actually quite bright as I type this - is that a bit of sun peeking through the clouds? ...probably temporary - though it is still snowing lightly and continued snow is there on the forecast through into next week.
So things are looking good and there doesn't seem to be much wind about today either.
All lifts look set to be operating as normal but we can expect gates to be closed this morning. There's plenty of fresh fun to be had within the resort so there is no need to be tempted to do anything silly or naughty.
Take care and have fun!
I didn’t notice this yesterday, sorry: the Free Ride Park at Niseko Grand Hirafu was closed yesterday and will be closed today as well (for maintenance).
Niseko Avalanche Report:
Niseko base 6am: -9℃, 15cm snowfall. Moiwa 800m: -12℃, NW20m/s wind from early morning, 10m/s average overnight, 30cm snowfall with large snowdrifts development. Annupuri 1150m: -13℃, W15m/s, 30cm snowfall, large snowdrifts. Hirafu 1250m: -12℃, strong NW wind, large snowdrifts. Coastal data: Benkei cape NW15m/s, Kamui cape NNW10m/s, 1007hPa, 1.8m waves.
Intermittent snow & wind made snowdrifts develop unevenly. The newly formed snowdrifts from late night to early morning is very large (up to 100cm) and the knolls around 800m easily collapses due to weak bonding within the slabs. Avalanche risk remains high in the steep slopes of Mikaeri bowl, 1000m Osawa (Annupuri bowl) cornice slopes, Kozan no sawa (Back bowl) all area and Higashi-One cornice slopes.
All gates are expected to close. Do not step out of bounds when the gates are closed. Avoid stimulating knolls and cornices anywhere today. Better not ride down to the bottom of valleys/gullies with cornices above it. Heavy deposit of wind-affected dense & grippy snow in the trees. Snowboarders are recommended to carry snowshoes & poles in case stuck at the bottom.
The light is weak and the bumps are hard to see. Beware of hitting trees or falling into cracks. The conditions will get better soon. Be flexible & make conservative decisions according to the weather. We strongly hope the day will end safely. Have a great day.
Thursday 15th February 2018
Resort specific information (operations subject to change):
Lifts scheduled to be operating: - All lifts (apart from the Country Road Chair lift) should be operating
Official snow depth: - Top: 380cm - Base: 230cm
Floodlit 'nighta' skiing:
Night skiing is planned for every evening at the Niseko Grand Hirafu, Niseko Village and Niseko Annupuri areas. There is no nighta at the Niseko HANAZONO area. Ski lifts that are scheduled to be operating for nighta are noted below (subject to change):
* Niseko Grand Hirafu - Ace Family quad, Ace Number 2 quad, Hirafu Gondola, Holiday Number 1 pair * Niseko Annupuri - Jumbo Number 1 quad lift * Niseko Village - Village Express, Upper Village Gondola, Community Chair Read more ...
Thursday 15th February 2018, 8:38am
Morning from Madarao.
Back to cloudy and snowy conditions this morning after that clear start to the day yesterday. The clouds moved in and brought us a bit more fresh snow - the resort is reporting 5cm.
It is colder this morning after the milder temperatures of yesterday and hopefully should keep below zero and we might get some more cm during the day today.
Sunshine tomorrow and then back to snow and a drop in temperatures on Saturday.
Official snow depth: 230cm
Number 1 lift Number 2 quad lift Number 3A lift Super quad lift Number 11 lift Number 12 lift Number 13 lift Number 15 lift
Powder Wave I Powder Wave II River Line Free Ride Park Powder Theater Adventure Aisle Crystal Bowl Ninja Sawa Rabbit Kamoshika Bear
It was a beautiful day yesterday with cloud coming over to join the fun mid to late afternoon.
I was there until the end of the day at 47 yesterday and my friends and I all noticed how the 'days are getting longer'. And also how we are now right in the middle of the season, if the big resorts can open until early May. That's a lot more reports for me to write! I hope many of them are snowy.
Talking about snow, here's the headlines from the resorts this morning:
Hakuba Happo-one: 11cm (top Gondola station) Hakuba Goryu: up to 10cm Hakuba 47: 5-10cm Hakuba Cortina: 5+cm
It's cloud cover this morning and light snow has started falling; visibility is looking generally limited on the webcams. It's not particular cold and the snow isn't the fluffiest but hopefully more so up top.
The forecast over the coming few days is sunshine tomorrow and then back to snow falling over the weekend. Temperatures look set to take a drop around Saturday too so fingers crossed for a quality delivery.
Ski resort information on Thursday 15th February 2018 (at time of writing):
Night time skiing (nighta) at resorts in the region - weather & conditions permitting The below 'nighta' information will not be updated every day - please check with resorts if you plan to go!
Hakuba Happo-one Daily from 5pm until 9pm in the Nakiyama 2 area Adults - 2,000 yen; children - 1,200 yen
Hakuba Goryu Daily from 6pm until 9:30pm in the Toomi area until 31st March The Sky Four quad operates daily; the Number 2 pair mostly on Saturdays and holidays Adults - 1,900 yen; children - 850 yen
Hakuba Cortina Daily from 5pm until 8pm (until 9pm on Saturdays) Adults - 1,500 yen; children - 1,000 yen
Tsugaike Kogen Karamatsu Shirakaba area from 6pm until 9pm on 17th February; 3rd, 10th March Adults - 2,200 yen; children - 1,700 yen
There are no other nighta operations at other ski resorts in the region Read more ...
Shiga Kogen Now!
Thursday 15th February 2018, 8:44am
Another modest amount of fresh snow to report this morning after that lovely day yesterday and this morning there is much more cloud around and as I write this very light snow falling. Was a bit worried that things might warm up a bit too much yesterday but it remained fairly cold and conditions were good. I was skiing over at Okushiga Kogen and they were very nice there anyway.
The Kumanoyu resort area is reporting 5-10cm of fresh snow on the slopes.
Official snow depths numbers reported by different areas of Shiga Kogen:
Please note that these numbers are the official numbers that ski resorts publish and we check and update them each morning.
I didn’t get to go out and do my formal measure of the new snowfall (the flu still taking precedence), but got the team to give me an average at right around 10cm of new snow. Better than the Niigata Prefecture forecast of 2cm for the morning.
The wind has shifted around to the northwest offshore again, something we see more commonly when we get good snow. That follows some pretty strong winds through the night and into the morning; there could still be strong winds higher up - and this is likely be the reason for several lift closures at Lotte Arai.
There has been a good topping up of snow since the report yesterday was posted. It has amounted to 7cm in the village, but significantly more than that at the top of the resort. It will be a very nice powder morning with all that new fresh snow around. The wind is blowing lightly and overhead conditions are overcast. There was sun coming through about half an hour ago but it is now blocked by the cloud. While there is no snow falling right now, it forecast to snow lightly throughout the day. Read more ...
Thursday 15th February 2018, 11:57am
Overcast Low Cloud
Good morning from Naeba! It's an overcast morning here in Naeba, and with a moderate wind and low visibility it's feeling very wintery in the Mikuni valley. The very light snow that is falling will likely continue for the remainder of today, with the wind remaining consistent. The air temperature is reading -4°C at the base, however with the brisk wind it's feeling quite chilly out there. With a small accumulation of 5cm of fresh snow, the pistes are in good condition today.
Looking forwards, we can expect the light snow to continue only until tomorrow morning, when the skies are expected to clear in the afternoon. The wind will also drop off significantly tomorrow. Winter will be back on Saturday, with strong winds predicted in the evening, accompanied by moderate snowfall. Accumulations are expected to be approximately 20+cm, meaning this could be a good chance to get the powder skis out again. Along with this block of moist air moving through, air temperatures are expected to plummet, with overnight highs of -9°C predicted on Saturday night. The snow is expected to persist until Monday evening. Read more ...
Appi Kogen Now!
Thursday 15th February 2018, 14:27pm
This report was initially missed and has been added retrospectively
Thursday brought us snowfall we haven’t seen in a long time here. 50cm of snowfall in a 12 hour period. Needles to say most of the lifts were closed, the roads were impassable and anything outside was virtually unrecognizable. While we tried to dig ourselves out those venturing up to the mountain were frustrated with the lack of open runs but still had a decent time of it.