Snow and weather reports posted on Tuesday 20th February 2018
Shiga Kogen Now!
Wednesday 12th March 2014, 8:52am
Fine, hazy in distance
Light blue skies early this morning, but I can see down in the valleys it's looking much more overcast. Which way it will go today up here, of course we don't know but we are hoping for some snow early tomorrow.
It is rather mild this morning, and hovering around zero at the moment, feels like it's going to warm up today. Even if it does though we are set to return to colder conditions from tomorrow.
Official snow depth data, as of Wednesday 12th March 2014):
Morning from Madarao and to start the day off it's kind of sunny, and I don't think it's cloudy - more like thick haze. Perhaps there's a word for what we have today that I can't quite think of. But while short distance visibility is and it feels sunny here, I can't even see Myoko properly. Perhaps it will clear later on in the day as we do have clearer conditions forecast.
It's going to warm up today after a less cold overnight, we just hope not too much.
Tomorrow - borderline wet/snow so we need those temps to keep on the colder side.
Operating lifts (planned):
Number 1 Number 2 Number 3A Number 2 quad Number 5 Super quad Number 11 Number 12 Number 13 Number 15 Moving walkway Kids Park
15cm yesterday and another 15cm today means that it's fresh everywhere out there today again. (I'll add the two together for 30cm in the report today).
It's not as cold this morning even though snow is falling. Just under zero rather than way below there. But still, snow quality seems good. Cloud and snow is what is happening out there just now and we do have more forecast for the next few days.
Official snow depths (12th March 14): Utopia: 320cm Chuo: 265cm Paradise: 290cm Uwanodai: 190cm Read more ...
Wednesday 12th March 2014, 10:02am
It's anothher 5cm of so of fresh snow this morning. The sun is out, it's calm and it's a fine morning.
Clouds are due to move back in later in during the day and we may see some more snowfall overnight.
Niseko Avalanche Report
Niseko base 6am: -10C, 5cm of new snow in 12 hours. Moiwa 800m: -11C, 15cm of fresh and light development of snowdrifts. Annupuri 1150m: -11C, 10cm of fresh with light development of snowdrifts, snowpack 320cm. Hirafu 1000m: -10C, 10cm of fresh, calm weather. Peak 1308m: N2.9m/s, -12.1C. Coastal data: cape Benkei calm, cape Kamui S2m/s, 0.5m waves, 1020hPa.
The isobars are spaced out and the weather is calm. No notable development of snowdrifts has been observed and the general avalanche risk is low. Peak gates will open from the morning. Hard slabs are forming in some areas above 1100m and could slide with ski stimulation. Stay cautious. The snow in the trees has been reset and is in wonderful conditions. Beware of cracks; it is strongly recommended to carry a rope in case you or your partner falls into one. Put a ski or something hard under and perpendicular to the rope when pulling the victim up. Can you make a bowline knot?
Cornice fall is a permanent hazard, and skiing out of bounds involves many other risks. Better not overestimate skills and knowledge; remain humble and prudent towards the mountain. Seek for the ski patrol’s advice before stepping out of the gate. Have a nice day.
Official snow depth numbers and lift news at time of writing:
Some stronger winds earlier on this morning but it's calmer now but now at mid morning it has calmed down.
It's warm today. Really warm. A high of 10C is forecast for early this afternoon and I can believe it, it can't be that much off that now. It's very hazy (?)/overcast as well this morning. Hmmm strange kind of weather, especially so soon after that snow and winter like conditions we have just days ago.
Tomorrow. Well, here in the village we are expecting rain or sleet, to turn into snow - the freezing level is supposed to be at around 2000m in the morning and gradually come down. So we might be lucky depending on that fine balance of nature that only nature will decided on!
I'll let you know how the first part of that goes in my report tomorrow.
Official snow depth numbers and operations (as of 12th March 2014):
Hakuba Goryu: Reporting 0cm of new snowfall. Upper - 275cm Toomi - 165cm Iimori - 125cm
Hakuba 47: Reporting 0cm of new snowfall. Upper - 260cm Lower - 90cm
After all that winter, we seem to have taken a super short cut straight through to spring this morning! Very curious conditions today.
The sun has been out and it's bright with good visibility on the mountain, but it is very hazy and overcast looking so you can't see much of the surroundings.
It is warming up a lot as well and as of lunchtime it is around 7 degrees down in the village area. The resort is reporting a temp. of +5 on the top Yamabiko area, so it's pretty warm up there too.
Tomorrow should be colder and we might see rain/sleet/snow (take your pick) according to the forecast, hopefully ending up in snow down to village. Some forecasts more confident of others of decent snowfall. We will just have to wait and see.
Mostly sunny in Minakami today with a midday temp of 7 deg C. Rain on the forecast for tomorrow afternoon followed by snow on Friday. The weekend warms up again but snow at the upper resorts should stay relatively cold on Saturday but moving into more sprong conditions by Sunday.
Another cold snap on the horizon next Thursday (March 20th) with snow forecast to hit before the weekend.
Early on today it looked like the sun might clear off the overcast look and it would turn into a bright and blue sky sunny day. While we have had some sun, the blue has gone and it has become a very hazy day, as it has in other nearby regions I see. Not sure what the story is there and if it's that PM2.5 that we had the other week or not...
So yes a very hazy/overcast day and in contrast to the winter conditions we had up until yesterday it has been warming up quickly today. As I write this at 2:30pm it is +9 degrees outside at town level. Tomorrow should not be quite as warm but still mild and there's a good chance we are going to get rained on I'm afraid. Such a shame of the snow conditions quickly get spoilt. There is the chance of snow too though if things can get cold enough but it's going to be giri-giri borderline.
I'll update you tomorrow with the latest of course.